Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Westport

Cabin window refit

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Shangri-La, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

I delivered my 1961 35' Roamer to a marina in Oconto, WI this morning to start refitting the cabin with new windows and cabin top. There will be two sliders on each side, with screens, encased in aluminum framing. The front cabin windows will also be replaced in aluminum framing. All glass will be tempered and tinted. The wood on the bottom of the frames along the sides of the cabin have rotted so that all has to be replaced first. I will also be removing the vinyl covering on the top of the cabin and having it fiberglassed. After we complete this project we will start remodeling the interior of the cabin. John Winter of John Winter Yacht will be overseeing this project. http://www.hiseasmarina.com/service.htm
  2. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

Below are some pictures of water damage around the cabin side windows after the trim was removed.
    P8220010.JPG
    P8220011.JPG
    P8220012.JPG
    P8220013.JPG
    P8220014.JPG
  3. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

4. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

More pictures
    P8220021.JPG
    P8220022.JPG
    P8220023.JPG
    P8220024.JPG
    P8220025.JPG
  5. q240z

q240z New Member

Your pix really exemplify why shortchanging on maintenance is false economy. You can see all of that silicone that somebody gooped in the windows instead of taking them out and rebedding them... But hey, it's a beautiful old boat and you're doing it the right way.

Who did you get to make your windows? I found a place to do the three bow seat windows on my 46 in aluminum frames, 1/4 glass, with an openable center window. $1375 sure seems like a pile of dough for three leetle teensy windows though...
  6. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

I've received 3 quotes so far. The first company (Mariner's Hardware www.marinershardware.com) gave me a quote of $3012 for the front windows in stainless steel and $1412 for power coated aluminum. The second company (Peninsula Glass www.motionwindows.com) $793 for the front windows in power coated aluminum. The third company (U.S.A. Marine Windows Mfg www.marinewindowsmfg.com/) $885 for the front 3 windows. There are some other companies that I haven't contacted yet but these quotes gives me a good idea of what it's going to cost me. Keep in mind that my front 3 windows are much larger than those on your newer 46 footer.
  7. q240z

q240z New Member

Motion Windows provided me with the quote a few months back. Their product looked quite nice. The hinges, attachment clamps, and stay (for the center window) were all very robust; much better looking than the others I looked at.

My outboard windows are 33x13 parallelograms and the center, openable window is a 44x12 square. The outboard windows were $340 and the center was $732. Do you have two windows forward or three?
  8. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

I have three windows in front of the cabin but I was not going to make the center window openable. I'll have two sliding windows on each side of the cabin with screens. The previous owner installed the A/C on the cabin top which is the source for some of the water damage from condensation. I'm going to remove that and install a MaxxFan to draw air through the windows for ventilation. I have one on my motorhome that works great.
    http://www.maxxair.com/products/MaxxFan.aspx
  9. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

Progress

We moved the boat 3 miles from the marina to John Winter's workshop. We built a support frame inside the cabin to hold the cabin top up after removing the windows.

P8300008(3).JPG

Then we built a support frame over the boat to hold the shrink wrap away from the cabin giving us room work on the outside while keeping everything dry during the winter.

P9200005(3).JPG
    PA030001(3).JPG
    PA070006(3).JPG

The cabin windows on the starboard side have been removed. All of the wood on the lower sill will have to be replaced. The plastic vent cover over the galley has also been removed in preparation to remove the vinyl fabric over the cabin top and replacing it with fiberglass.

PA080006(3).JPG
  10. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Good workz

Calvin would be pleased.
    Keep up the great work - we'll be sending an inspector around in the spring. :p
    Cheers!
    Eric

Attached Files:

11. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

We'll be looking forward to the inspector. One thing I have on my side, John Winter, the person
    overseeing the project is a yacht designer who used to work for Chris-Craft in Sarasota and
    a marine surveyor. He knows what to look for and how to make it better.;)
  12. q240z

q240z New Member

Looks terrific! I'm glad I'm not the only one slaving away on a Roamer.
  13. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

picture

summer of 08

Attached Files:

14. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

pic from sweden

Now the flybridge is off look better or?

Attached Files:

15. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Mama get a hammer,...

..., baby's gotta a fly(bridge) on his head. :eek:
    Some love'em, others think not.
    Still others think the factory bridge could use some customization:
    http://www.geocities.com/super_roamer_38/FlyingBridge3.html
    All pretty valid thoughts.
    In any case, glad to see the Roamer flag being carried high in Scandinavia.
    Now, about that "extra" flying bridge - when's it going on eBay and how much? ;)
    You could definitely get a good (wooden) mast and set of rooftop hand rails with the proceeds.
    Cheers!
    Eric

Attached Files:

16. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

hi sorry wrong pic have get the mast the spotlight and the rails is on the bridge Iwill mount them after the paint job the only thing Im loocking for now is a high VHF antenna around 12ft. Hope learn more how to attachthepictures here.Have some problems with the size of the pic but have the hole winter to learn jepp the bridge is for sale but have a problem "the Atlantic ocean"
    Erik
  17. q240z

q240z New Member

You have a Roamer. Why should the Atlantic Ocean be a problem?

Oh...right...none of you "gotta keep it original" guys have fuel-sipping Ford Lehmans or 3000 mile range. hehehe

sry for the threadjack. ;-)
  18. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

That is a good one, great engines and great range.

I have gotten aluminum window frames made for my Roamer and now on to getting a welder to install. I am seriously thinking of put aluminum over the salon also and getting rid of the fiberglass. Anyone do this will replacing the windows? I am thinking of putting a hatch in so if I want to replace any things I don't have to take it all apart just pull the hatch.

I am getting anxious to get the window tracks, going to have middle sliders with the back fixed as it is today. Major difference will be the aluminum frames.
  19. q240z

q240z New Member

Funny you should mention the framed windows in the salon. We're about a month or two from putting windows in and I've spent a good, solid half-hour staring at the gaping holes where the windows used to be, trying to envision how aluminum would work. I've even considered vinyl frames, since the extrusions are very similar.

Since there are no problems in this area on my boat, I had planned to just use Hatteras window tracks. They hold up and function much better and smoother than the plain plastic stuff that Chris Craft used.

What did you have in mind for your side windows?
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  20. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Hi
    Im was think about the freight cost for skipping the flybridge over to US by the way a guy from lulea have purchasea 60ft roamer hi is on the way over the Atlantic ocean they right about him on the local paper
    hope the job with engine went alright you have a point. my detroit diesel
    are to powerfull and rader hevy (2000 kg) together.
    have been down to the marina the hole day Cover her nex week I vill bring home the stove nead to rewire all cable so we can used the stove next season
    Erik