Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

Buying a Year 2000 Ocean Alexander 610 PHMY

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by Navy Dave, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Navy Dave

Navy Dave New Member

Based on hull survey and engine inspection, two important items for which I seeking advice/input. High moisture content in bow pulpit and on fly bridge extension over cockpit. Some core rot leakage around the fly bridge extension visible near davit penetration thru deck and also where dinghy tie downs are affixed in deck.
    Port engine indicated 2.47" blow by; Caterpillar spec allows for only up to 2.00" pressure loss.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Get a bunch of estimates on the core repair.
    Get a bunch of estimates for engine diagnosis and worst case repair.

Seller fixes it per your surveyors approvals or take the worst case number$ off the last agreed (before survey) sales price.
    Include all else you and your surveyors found.

Above is the norm for me. There are other ways to sell a boat; Does the seller know there are problems and his sale price already reflects these issues (as is?)?

You have to work with your surveyors and broker to determine the valve of the boat in as is condition,,, Value of the boat to you,,, Will the boat hold any of its value and your repair money to keep the bank, insurance company and future re-sale happy or is she a keeper.

It's a 17/18 year old OA. Soon you can get an antique sticker for it. Sure it really appeals to you?

Were on a 39 year old boat. She appealed to us and 14 years later, were still on.
  3. Navy Dave

Navy Dave New Member

All great comments, thank you!
    And yes, she really speaks to my wife & me....beautiful boat. Just want to be sure she is rugged, ready and reliable!
    Thanks again - Navy Dave
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

O A owners here are thin. O A operators and techs are about.
    I have worked on just a couple thru the years. Engine service mainly. I liked them.
  5. learjett2

learjett2 New Member

Really depends on your attitude,do you like to fix things? I purchased an '88 OA about 3 years ago,any boat has problems, depends on financial consideration's,time and willingness to solve problems. My boat still has issues but it's my baby,keeps me busy and out of the saloon's, good luck
  6. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

I agree with rcrapps. the value always has to be established with properly operating equip. That's not to say it has to be new as it's a used boat but, if the previous owner didn't attend to the repairs needed, then it's gonna cost him in his sell price by adjusting to get it operable.
    I have a 95 OA and have spent the past years restoring all the systems to current standards and replace/rebuilding "what's due" for repair. Most boat owners seem to tackle problems as they occur. That approach takes away from the enjoyment by chasing problems (often at less than convenient times), adds to the cost by making the repairs more extensive, having to use whatever parts are available at the time and extra labour costs.