Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Burger Privacy Matters Click for Westport

Burj Dubai

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Yacht News, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Just saw this video of a worker at the very top of the Burj Dubai's spire. As many of you know Burj Dubai is the tallest building in the world at 818-meters and some 162/4 floors. Watching the short vid made my head spin at those dizzying heights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVLzVhnYE0&feature=related
  2. Yacht News

Burj Dubai in the day and at night, very nice looking building. She will open on January 4th 2010 apparently.

Lipson_at_themarker's on FlickR
    4160819303_d43eab217c.jpg

4158733786_a1bac2816c_b.jpg

Digitaler Lumpensammler on FlickR
  3. Yacht News

Burj Khalifa aka Burj Dubai has been opened now. It was opened yesterday in Nothing short of a spectacular ceremony designed to highlight the structure itself. An elaborate fireworks display mounted from the building, the building's decorative strobe lights and powerful 'dancing' uplights made it a spectacle to witness. Although the world's tallest building is opened, she isn't fully completed.
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Cool, good looking building. It is normal though for these big buildings to have tenancy down low before the upper levels are completed for occupation.
  5. Yacht News

Yes, it is a mixed use building. Hotel, Office space, Condos, Varying public spaces etc.
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

Wow, that's wild. More than twice the height of The Empire State Building. For some reason watching that video reminds me of the saying... A man does not really know how far he can go until he goes too far.
  7. Yacht News

It's almost twice the height of the 'average' skyscraper around the world. Of course there are lots of very tall scrapers around the world espcially in China, Hong Kong and Japan that are above the half way mark of Burj Dubai.
  8. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Yeikes! I don't know why I'm fine at that altitude in a plane but being up there on something that is attached to the ground is quite different:confused:

I like sea level much better!
  9. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

A fitting monument to a Monarchy who’s concept of economic reality mirrors that of an ostrich hiding its head in the sand.
    This building will go down in history as an example in bad planing and poor management …
    *other opinions may vary______________________________

Abu Dhabi would not let Dubai go bankrupt:

DUBAI: Dubai's request for a debt moratorium for its Dubai World conglomerate worried markets on Thursday, but the Gulf city state can count on Abu
    Dhabi, its deep-pocketed rich brother, to avoid default, analysts said.

Dubai is one of seven city states that make up the United Arab Emirates, along with Abu Dhabi. On Wednesday, it announced that it intends to request a "standstill" for at least six months on the maturing debt of Dubai World, its largest and most-indebted state-run holding.

That sent jitters through major world on fears of a potential default by Dubai, which has a total debt of around 80 billion dollars, mostly owed by state companies.

Standard and Poor's estimated last month that Dubai state-related companies are due to repay some 50 billion dollars in debt over the next three years, which represent 70 per cent of the emirate's gross domestic product.

The ratings agency said on Wednesday that Dubai World's action amounts to a default and it downgraded companies in the group by several notches.

On the immediate horizon, Dubai World construction unit Nakheel was due to repay 3.5 billion dollars on December 14 in the form of maturing Islamic
    But although the picture appears bleak, Dubai's oil-rich leading partner in the UAE, Abu Dhabi, is seen as likely to shore up the emirate.

"Abu Dhabi would not allow the financial collapse of Dubai," said Dubai-based analyst Ibrahim Khayat.

But he said the UAE heavyweight, which sits on more than 90 per cent of the federation's oil reserves and owns the world's largest sovereign wealth fund, might seek to bring Dubai under its control.

"Abu Dhabi could allow the weakening of Dubai within the framework of the competition between the two, but a collapse of Dubai would also affect Abu Dhabi," Khayat said.

"This announcement highlights the substantial headwinds facing the UAE economy," she said.
  10. Yacht News

Interesting way to look at it.
  11. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

As Woody Allen once said “I don’t mind heights, it’s the ground that scares me!” :)
  12. OutMyWindow

Dubai is referred to as an Architectural Disneyland, with a hodgepodge of one off buildings dreamed up by world architects that would not be allowed to construct anything like it in their own homeland.
    These buildings are also constructed by a cheap Indian labour force that has no experience building anything over a one-storey wood-frame/mud building.
    The office vacancy rate is 40% + and residential values are down 47% + over the last 6 months.
    Most people I know see Dubai as a dope-induced dream. They also have the world’s largest yacht that will probably never leave port.
  13. Yacht News

Well "Dubai" does leave dock, doesn't travel 'that' far but she moves around sometimes. So I do not think you can make that statement.
  14. OutMyWindow

15. RER

RER Senior Member

Am I Crazy?

Do the Floating Tower and Dubai Tower appear to have an Al Qaeda/911 component to them? Am I the only one who see's that?
  16. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

LOL
    It's not the fall that will kill you, its the sudden stop at the end.....
  17. Yacht News

The end result of the fall!
  18. Yacht News

Finishes to Armani Hotel

***​

http://www.constructionweekonline.com
  19. Yacht News

20. Yacht News

Burj Khalifa website

Check out the Burj Khalifa website. It is as impressive as the building and grounds of the property!

http://www.burjkhalifa.ae/