Privacy Matters Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Abeking

Burger 80 - HVAC recommendations

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by PPD, Mar 29, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PPD

PPD Member

As I am getting into the demo of the interior spaces I’m looking for anyone’s thoughts, experiences, and knowledge on putting heat and AC into the boat..

I’m leaning towards a diesel heating system, but I don’t know what manufacturer out there to look at.

I welcome any insight out there.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Don’t know anything about heat beyond reverse cycle.

for AC if the boat is gutted , go with chillers. No brainer
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep,
    Chillers, No Brainer..
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

yeah, chillers, no brainer. You can live with 2 x 60k BTU. That's what I have on 68 feet of aluminum, and it's effortless with around 12 tons of air handlers. Rarely do both units spin up. Of course it works a bit harder in the Bahamas with warmer water and sun. If you feel you need a bit more consider using a 2 ton unit in first position. Now your small unit is doing most of the work and becomes a smaller sacrificial system that gets swapped out more frequently than the big ones. I live all one chiller loop that goes to heat when season requires it. Two loops if you're planning to be in the colder climates more frequently is reasonably easy to design and install with manifolds.
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Not in your area but for info and good package set ups for diesel heat : https://www.suremarineservice.com/

However, if you are starting from scratch and putting in a chiller system you can get the air handlers that can support increased temps on the heat side. Then you can get either diesel or electric boosters to go inline in your chiller piping loop to increase temps from what just the reverse cycle can do. I wanted to go this route but my existing air handlers weren’t capable of handling the higher temps so I added a stand alone diesel fired hydronic system with 5 zones. It works well but you do have to keep up the maintenance on the boiler as they can be a little finicky; I went with the Webasto and if memory serves my boiler is 55k btu but my boat is only 54’ so you would need a bigger system. The Olympia units on that site are supposed to really good if you have the space.
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I went straight cool with the chillers to avoid reversing valve failures. Mistake given my stretches of time up north each year. I installed two inline 12kw electric heaters with adjustable thermostats. I shut down the chillers and switch over to the heaters when we need the heat. Works well, but it’s not the best solution. Reversing valves is the way to go, but exercise them periodically. Radiant heat is a beautiful thing.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Check out www.flagshipmarine.com. That s where I got the twin chiller system for my 53. I v also bought a few air handlers from them to replace failing Cruisairs on the 110 I run

they have either reverse cycle or heating elements

excellent quality and service, no proprietary electronics all off the shelf parts
  8. PPD

PPD Member

Thanks for the input. I'm going to check out these companies to see what they recommend for sizes.
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Don't over-equip. Im a 68 foot Burger, but wide body. I have as much interior SF as you do. I spend summers in NE and winters in SE. At 10 ton two-fives, I have plenty of compressor. I run around 13 ton of air handlers in 5 staterooms, pilot, galley, living area, etc as well as 2 ton in the ER for service days. I rarely have both units called to run by the controls. A single five ton does 90% of the work.

And I like AC as well as a large ice cube in my amber...
  10. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I went with Technicold units, well set up with plenty of 316 stainless. Most all systems rely on MicroAir controls.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

My ER setup...

Attached Files:

12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sweet