Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Breeze comin'

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Loren Schweizer, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

To thems who are in the Bahamas/So. Fla area and who are thumbing their collective noses at 'Gus', it looks as though 'Hanna' could be the real deal (as in, "hang on to your exhaust pipes and get ready for an overhaul") for us in another week or so.

http://orcasystems.ca/GoogleEarth_Imagejfv.jpg
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

little early to tell, the shove to the coast a la Andrew isn't etched in stone yet. possible though.
  3. Last week I spent a day putting extra lines on my listings here at the shipyard. I have no intention of taking them off until November. The owners are quite happy that their boats are already at the location of choice of many captains when the weather threatens.
    However brokers like Loren and all the others who post here worry about their families, their houses, their boats, and then their listings!
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's time to be ready, but way too early to act. A la Andrew, I remember waiting for him to nail Pompano as he detoured down to Homestead. An awful lot of boats had gone down there in the days before to get out of his way
  5. Loren Schweizer

6. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Not Good, you guys take care down there
    I for one will never ***** over 3 days of snow again.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the 5 PM is interesting... shear is taking its toll and "IT SHOULD BE ADDED THAT THERE IS LARGER THAN NORMAL UNCERTAINTY ASSOCIATED WITH
    BOTH THE TRACK AND INTENSITY FORECASTS OF HANNA."

in other words... we dont' have a clue :)
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think I'd be more worried if I were in S. Carolina, but it's still way early. What does look worrisome is the general activity coming off Africa this year. September looks like a month of breath holding and hoping. Even up here I don't really feel secure this year. Sure do hope I'm wrong.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

One of these storms could be a blessing in disguise for the Carolinas IF they don't make landfall with intensity. The lakes of the Carolinas and Georgia are suffering severe droughts. Thankfully, Fay topped off Lake O for Florida.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

well, late august is Cape Verde season until mid september, it's not too bad this year, remember 95? there were like 3 to 5 cyclones in the ATL at any one time...
  11. Loren Schweizer

Let's see...got your forecast stall (check)...Bermuda high in place (check)...got your Midwest digging trough for subsequent lift to the North (check)...
    Call me crazy, but this 'Hanna''s starting to smell an awful lot like 'Betsy' in '65.
    Not meaning to be a fearmonger here by any stretch, but I'd keep the DeWalt near the Weber.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/tropical/rain/betsy1965.html
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Had the privilege of discussing Hanna with WPTV's chief meteorologist Steve Weagle just moments ago. During last night's broadcast, he referred to Hanna as "interesting". As a weather forecaster and local celebrity, http://www.steveweagle.com , he has to be tactful when expressing an opinion. Lots of people tune in to Steve! I don't want to speak on his behalf, but I got the impression Hanna's the first storm he's concerned about, mostly because of the forecasted stall just off the outer banks of the Bahamas. Hard to say which way Hanna will blow...
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

altough on the bright side, many storms have been forecasted to stall and went on into small loop and kicked out to sea.

to early to really worry, but worth keeping an eye on!
  14. Loren Schweizer

My last post to this morbid thread, because Nothing gets in the way of Labor Day Rib Cookouts which will commence in only hours...

Listen... more than one or two or three models forecast 'Hanna' (from a couple of days ago) to leap down to the South onto Fidel's head and, probably, from the shock of seeing so many fleas in his beard, caused her to leap straight back up North to our Southern Paradise.

Factoid A: The CMC (Canadian) model, which heretofore was really terrible (CMC = 'Can't Model Crap') was pretty much the only model that tracked the recent 'Fay' to a 'tee' the whole way, surprise, surprise...

Factoid B:
    The 12Z August 29 2008 CMC out to 144 hrs.:
    http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/cmctc2.cgi?time=2008082912&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Factoid C: Kayaked around Virginia Key today without ONE stingray leaping out & scaring the crap out of me. Hmmm..