Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker

Bow Thruster - Ratings and Reviews

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Thisisit, Jul 10, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I haven't seen a recent thread re thrusters so....

This fall I will be looking at a bow thruster. Generally speaking, I'll need a 24 volt, thru-hull for a 40 ft Sedan Bridge. Don't know much about them; never had one on any boat that I've owned. All the cool captains have them so I thought I'd jump in.

I have the room under the berth for the peripherals and will most likely do the wiring and control terminations myself. The cutting, mounting and glass work will be done professionally.

Any market leaders? Any to stay away from? Hard-wired? Wireless?

Discuss.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I put a 24v Side Power with the variable speed controller in my boat about 7 years ago. I don’t use it often but when I do it works and makes things very convenient. Mine is rated at 13.4 hp and has plenty of power for my 54’ Sportfish even in winds and current.
    Thisisit and menkes like this.
  3. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Good to know. I don't think I would need such a large unit but the variable speed would seem like a good option to have.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have delivered boats with thrusters. Tried to use them at times.
    Some would push a bow against a storm. Others were worthless in dead calm water.
    If you must have one, don't cheap out. Get a strong one.

I have always like the SidePower lines of equipment.

However; You knew this was coming;
    Real boat drivers don't neeed no stinkin thrusters..:D:D:D

<<----- Ours is an ole 58 x 18 Bertram MY.
    Thruster not needed. Always wanted stabilizers though.
    Kat gets sea sick.
  5. menkes

menkes Member

Well spoken
    my sidepower works perfectly every time
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

“All the cool captains have them so I thought I'd jump in. ”

That is one ridiculous reason …. Cool is not using thrusters :)
  7. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

That phrase was included to poke the old farts. Looks like it worked.

As I said, I have never had one but now we are in a marina where the prevailing wind is blowing off the dock with little wiggle room. Nobody on this boat is getting any younger or more agile and it's not heavy enough to buffer the wind as well as a large Bertram or similar.

I think using it seldom is what will occur however having it when needed is convenient, as Dockmaster indicated.

Side Power seems to be a favorite from what I've read elsewhere as well. Thanks for the input.
    Anyone out there have a recent model with wireless infrastructure?
  8. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Would you say that variable speed is a game changer? I've seen smaller boat pushed around quite violently. They probably don't have variable speed. I will investigate the price points of both.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I can't say the variable speed is a game changer because that's the only configuration I've had so don't have a comparison. That being said, I don't recall ever using full power of my thruster. Having a speed control allows me to give it a little nudge without the full on/full off I see others dealing with when docking. I see others often thrusting back and forth because the full on pushed them too far even with short bursts.

I really don't understand those that ridicule thrusters. I personally prefer folks having them and having better control and less likelihood of a collision when docking. I guess some of these guys still use slide rulers, don't use the internet and might even have rotary dial phones. Because heaven forbid we might utilize a modern convenience much to their disapproval :):)
  10. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Well said. I also use a cell phone, Internet AND satellite TV. LOL. Having said that, I do appreciate the knowledge and experience that comes from the grey-haired captains despite their mild crotchety demeanor.

There is a 50' Beneteau Swift Trawler two over from us with IPS drives. It is comforting to watch the skipper dock this "huge sail" in the wind using the technology, flawlessly.

It sounds as though variable is the way to go. You and I have both seen the back and forth bow-dance. Now, I need to decide on the model. As suggested by others, I may as well go big. Better have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
  11. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

When size your thruster the tunnel size you can use will be a big driver of size. For me, Side Power offered two different units that utilized the same tunnel size. I just paid a few bucks more and went with the higher HP unit. If memory serves, my options were around 10 hp or the 13 hp I went with.
  12. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Understood, thank you.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Slide rule? Rotary phone? Fancy stuff..
    My neighbor has an abacus, when I run out of fingers, toes, digits or stones, I'll ask him how much is..
    We also have strings connected to coffee cans, unless a bird is sitting on the string, it works pretty well if you yell loud enough.
    One day, I thought we upgraded to ring phones, but it was just my neighbor shooting a bird off of our party line, extra hole now in my phone can.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well now that you have given an intelligent reason for needing a thruster… Side Power is pretty good. They are also distributed by Imtra in New Bedford Ma which has excellent customer service. I ve had two of them on boats I ran, a 70 and an 84 footer, and never had issues getting parts. On the 84 we had to replace the gearbox, they had in stock and it was reasonable… about $2500 I think

Neither were variable speed and that worked just fine. The 116 I run now had variable speed hydraulic, Probably because they create a lot of thrust. Don’t think it s needed on small boats

And yes, make sure wit is big enough or it will be useless the day you need it
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A+ on Imtra

We were blessed with the help of Ray LaVoie @ Imtra, many years ago.
    He has assisted our small company on many projects.

These kids have supported every purchase, answered every question and Ray has been the greatest sales/support contact.
    I used to e-mail him during the night. When I started my next day, his answers were already waiting for me.

Raymond LaVoie
    Customer Service / Inside Sales

30 Samuel Barnet Boulevard New Bedford, MA. 02745
    Office:
    508-995-7000 |Direct: 508-207-1639|www.imtra.com
  16. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Looks like Side Power is the market leader and most reliable with good post-purchase support. Thank you for all the input. I may actually be in New England later this summer for a few days. May even look at a cash and carry option from Imtra.

I suppose it will take some time for North Americans to get used to the rebranding of the products to Sleipner.

The Norwegian motor manufacturer has decided to go back to its roots since they offer more than just thrusters that move you from side to side. It has always been Sleipner in non-English markets however.

Sleipner.... Sleipner. Say it with me.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The controls are labeled Sleipner
  18. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Help my feeble mind....are you saying Sidepower is now Sleipner ?
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

20. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

It has always been Sleipner. The motors and controls, for the most part, were labeled as such.

Sleipner used Side Power only in English speaking markets.

They're simply dropping the Side Power brand name. Everything will be branded Sleipner.