Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Bonding Wires

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by Petrafied, Apr 7, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Petrafied

Petrafied New Member

Last week I noticed the new bottom paint on my lights and through hulls was wearing quickly. I dove the boat and noticed some minor corrosion on the tips of my wheels and the zinc's looked good.

A little looking around the bilge and I found a missing bonding wire. It looks like my bonding system is "daisy chained" so my assumption is that after replacing the missing wire and replacing a few suspect ones I should be good.... New boat to me...

Should I be content with my repair or is there a good way to make sure she's properly bonded...
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If it is indeed daisy chained, a poor practice which saves labor and materials, I would check the rest of the bonding to be sure.

What kind of boat?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Good looking shaft zincs but prop tip galvanic erosion usually means the zinc is not making good connection to the shaft.
    Bottom paint can be effected if it has a high metal filler (copper, tin, zinc).

You can measure electrical resistance between all metal fixtures.
    Surveyors usually do this during out of water purchase inspections.

There is an in the water test method that measures voltage between the water and subject thru hull with a silver slug and test meter.

Just keep it simple, good clean electrical connections between all thru hull options. Fresh wire cables and lugs, up&out of bilge water.

Daisy-chain is easier but not the best pattern to follow. Common fore-aft straps (like a back bone) and all tied to this, is the recommended bonding design.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

My old Hatteras had a copper strap running the length of the boat. When I rewired, I ran a 6 AWG green wire with terminal blocks in various spots where there were numerous wires like the ER, Stern etc
  5. Petrafied

Petrafied New Member

It's a 43 Torres. Built in the Keys in 98. I was worried it may have been stray current from a neighbor initially.... Bilge is clean. I had the seacocks changed out and one of the jumpers was removed and never replaced.

Thanks for the insight. I'll contact the surveyor and find out if he can assist in testing as he is a marina neighbor. Looks like I need to spend a little more time in the bilge!
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Always stay on guard and concerned about other marina boats.
    Our shop and divers have witnessed way to much carnage of boat equipment.
    Hopefully your surveyor can show you how to test for a trouble neighboring boat.
  7. Rodd

Rodd New Member

Anybody aboard that would have knowledge of, schematic of, or just a compass heading for finding information on the grounding system (not ground) on a 1975 62' Pacemaker M/Y? Need to ring out the connections 'cause stbd side zinc has suddenly gone inactive.. Original manual long lost. :(.

Try me at: Email address REMOVED

Thx
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2024
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hello Rodd
    Welcome to Yacht Forums.

Please note for security, your e-mail address was removed from your post.
    This is a world wide forum and to avoid any issues coming back at you, we use secure private messages to exchange address if needed.
    This helps to keep the bad guys from raiding your e-mail address from the open to all web page.

Questions on your issue;;
    Your stb zinc was on the shaft, tab transom?
    Or stb C-Pac has gone inactive?
    We can not read minds so please fill us in on all parameters of your boat, failures, recent work in the bilges, recent work of any thru-hill hardware, when you discovered your issue.
    Also, have you moved slips or new neighbor on either side?

Thru hull fittings, shafts, rudders, tabs and more work as a system.
    Then sometimes (mostly pending design) tied to green wire dock service.
    We need lots of info before any work for you can begin.

The first DIY activity you can preform is measuring resistance between all under water equipment and report these reading also.
    A great big truth table (spread sheet) can help you and us point to your issue.

If your post gets any activity, Admin may want to open a new thread for you.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2024