Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights

Blue Moon in Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by Yachtguymke, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Well, I have to say - Its a sight to see something this big in Milwaukee. It doesn't happen very often, but today when I drove past the Coast Guard Station & The Lake Express Terminal, there IT WAS! I am impressed to say the least! This is my first time seeing this vessel - It looks better in Person.

I have been working on an 85' Pacific Mariner this week, installing our Hotbox Technology; The 85' is the biggest privately owned yacht in Milwaukee. Last year we saw the Barbara Jean & The Highlander. This year Blue Moon. Now only if Limitless, Pelorus, Octopus or Rising Sun would show up it would make my year.

Can't really get to a place to take a good shot and the sun is setting fast.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  2. Yachtguymke

BM in Milwaukee Pics

Okay, I got home, posted the message, then headed back out with the Digital to get some pics, they are shady as I didn't grab the right camera.

Attached Files:

3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Yachtguymke:

Not to denigrate Milwaukee, but "Blue Moon looks, in your photos, like she took a wrong turn somewhere. She looks lonely!
  4. Yachtguymke

Definitely Lonely....

She is lonely. The problem with Milwaukee right now is there are only a few places to dock a Yacht. The Milwaukee Yacht Club has a gas dock that is more than accomodating. Alot of the captains however do not like entering the marina as it is not conducive to turning and maneuvering. Its a pain in the rear to say the least.

That leaves the Port Of Milwaukee, which is a un-accomodating place as there is alot of industrial in that area. The Milwaukee River, but again, lots of industrial on the South End. So that leaves the Coast Guard Station and the Lake Express Terminal. Both of these locations are good, there is well accessed transportation to and from the yacht, and numerous restraunts in the neighborhood.

You are right though. She looks lonely.
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

the area looks more desolate than anything else. definitely a lonely yacht.
  6. Loren Schweizer

Yachtguymke:

The owners & crew of "Blue Moon" have one thing in their favor, though--

They don't have Redman's (Alloyed2sea-- check out his sea monster thread) depicable sea hag down the dock!:D
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Lonely? Yes. But no worse than an extended crossing, when the horizon is your only view for days. Been there, done that. Dockwise from it!

It looks like Blue Moon is missing more than a marina... she looks dockless. Hard to tell from Aaron's pics, but... is she jetty-sitting? Haven't seen a fender for that app.
  8. MBACH

MBACH Senior Member

As a native Cheeshead, it is nice to see Blue Moon visit Beer City. The owner frequently has the boat in Chicago at the Navy pier during the summer.
  9. Yachtguymke

Here Ya Go - Lakefront Cam for MKE

Hey Guys! Found this today, www.lakefrontcam.com - this will give you better insight to the length of dock available in Milwaukee for Yachts 100+. The space is limited, but there. When you get to the page, under the cam view is a drop down list - Select McKinley Marina.
  10. Loren Schweizer

Yachtguymke:

That is one busy place.
    I suppose, too, that one might anchor out in the marina and dinghy in for a brat 'n a brew? Enough depth in there?
  11. Yachtguymke

Brat n Brew

I think it was last year or the year before, Barbara Jean, 185' Feadship arrived in Milwaukee for the weekend, they anchored on the North end of the inner harbor, just inside the North Entrance. They then used tenders to get to shore.

Highlander, another Feadship, likes to dock at the Pieces of Eight Restraunt, directly across from the Calatava Art Museum. Blue Moon, another Feadship (We need a Lurssen or two to show up!) was docked down by the Lake Express Terminal this last week. All of these locations are visible on the Webcam Link that I posted before.

The nice thing about Milwaukee is that you have access to all of the Bars, Clubs, Condos, Restraunts, etc from anywhere. You have Milwaukee Yacht Club & McKinley Marina and South Shore Yacht Club. These three marinas account for the most dockage available. South Shore Yacht Club dockage requires you to be a member. I don't agree with it, as its a nicer area for boaters, more relaxing, more nature oriented than that of Mckinley.

But Yes is the answer to your question. You can simply Moor out and tender in for the Good Ole' Brat & Beer. Or Simply boat up the river and dock free anywhere along the Riverwalk.
  12. Yachtguymke

Blue Moon has been here awhile!

Today I was leaving the house and saw something interesting on Blue Moon. The forward tender garage was open! Had to stop and shoot some pics -Enjoy the images!

Attached Files:

• bm1.jpg
      bm1.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
    • bm2.jpg
      bm2.jpg
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
    • bm3.jpg
      bm3.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
    • bm4.jpg
      bm4.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
    • bm5.jpg
      bm5.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
  13. BenSeattle

BenSeattle New Member

Any idea of the tenders stored within?
  14. allyellowcats@

allyellowcats@ New Member

I was in Milwaukee August 9 - 13, 2011 and took a short river cruise and there was Blue Moon moored near a monster coal ship unloading its cargo. I felt like I had seen Angelina Jolie at the grocery story in sweat pants. I took photos to prove to myself that it was really that Blue Moon not a tromp l'oeil rendition. Alas, it was dusk so the photos are dim but she is really in Milwaukee near the Allen-Bradley plant. Spectacular!