Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross

Blinds in the Saloon

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Tight Lines, Apr 8, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

The 1" aluminum mini-blinds in our saloon have been moved to the marina dumpster in favor of cleaner and operable replacements. I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions for replacement blinds/shades that others have installed and tips for setting them up to also work while away from the slip. Thanks.
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Typical commercial places (Next Day Blinds, etc.) can usually make you want you want.

Dometic offers a powered version of their Oceanair blinds if you want to go that route. "Skyvenetian" or some such name...

-Chris
  3. StillLearning

StillLearning Member

Facing the same topic in the near future.

Searching on the web I found two pathways. One was yacht interior companies, guessing $$$$. The other was blinds.com, they actually have a entry on their website for boats.

Any special considerations for mounting? Any gotcha's with using similar source that you would use for a residence?
  4. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

@ranger58sb - thanks for the reply, I’ll check out the suggestions.

@StillLearning - the outgoing blinds on my vessel were essentially your standard 1” builder grade blinds cut to length. They were “marinized” with plexiglass standoffs 1/4”x 1” attached to the mahogany below the windows in the salon. The standoffs held a piece of wire that was pulled taut back up to the frame of the blind through the guts of the assembly. They worked pretty well and kept the blinds off the glass and in place off shore. They didn’t stand up well to my kids (4-7-13). If you leaned too far back in the barrel chairs, it didn’t take much pressure to snap one of the wires and then they were never the same.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Poseidon marine blinds in Fort Lauderdale has always been fairly priced and they did a great install on a few yachts I manage.
  6. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

Thanks. I just placed an order with Poseidon.