Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

Bimini channel entrance update

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Pascal, May 28, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If anyone is going to Bimini this summer, the buoys marking the entrance are off station

you can leave the first to STBD as expected but you need to leave the second red very close to PORT. I passed about 10-15’ away. Then continue for about 200’ before making the turn north staying well away from the green which is almost dry at low tide.

this will give you 8 1/2’ MLW

green dashed line is my track, chart edited to extend the sandbar and position the two reds where they actually are

or you can use the old range. I didn’t try it as I heard the range markers are barely visible.

IMG_1855.jpeg
    f3504x4ps likes this.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Did you go in with the Big un or yours?
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the 110, for work. I would not go there otherwise… it is a disgusting mess. Loud and awful music, wakes, etc ….
    SplashFl and Capt Ralph like this.
  4. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

That brought back some distant memories from long before there were any markers other then the South Island's water tank that blew over in a storm one night. I guess it used to be on charts as I recall someone calling for local information one evening saying they could not find the tank. Fortunately we captured rain water off the roof and stored it in a tank below the house as it was years until they eventually connected us to the North Island.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My last visit was before the first fire and Chalks was flying in there.
    Just from what others have reported, I'll never go back and keep my fond memories intact.

Thanks for your post, for others that visit and help avoid issues..
    Half hitch likes this.
  6. Half hitch

Half hitch New Member

Buoys!??
    Hell last time I had crossed over to Bimini ( 1995 ) all we had were the range markers/poles to line up on...**** I'm old!!
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The range markers are supposed to still be there somewhere in the trees…. And probably faded.
    Half hitch likes this.
  8. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Long before any range markers when we had the house on S. Bimini and often ran either the inflatable or the Striker to the N. Island we always headed in to near the South Cut entrance and then swung North along the beach. Always plenty of water closer to the beach and no sand bar. The major challenge, if even attempted, were during strong West winds due to rollers into the South Cut and those breaking over the sand bar & washing into the beach. Getting out the cut was the easy part but more then once instead of going in the small cut and risking broaching or winding up on the rocks, returned to the N. Island.
    Although I used to usually run the Striker I'll never forget the conversation with the owner, Dan Fulmer, the only one on the bridge with me as we approached the planned entering into the cut on a strong west wind day. "Scared, Dan aske me." My reply was, "nope, not my boat." LOL LOL
    Last edited: May 31, 2024
  9. benjay

benjay New Member

Thanks Pascal. I think I saw your video on FB. GREAT INTEL
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're still there and you can see them.
  11. benjay

benjay New Member

I used the transit markers last summer, and they were clearly visible. im mainly curious on the conditions in strong W SW or S winds.
    thanks everyone.
  12. benjay

benjay New Member

Pascal
    I have Explorer charts on AquaMap and the markers are in different positions - see screenshot. Do you have any idea why this could be? I just updated the charts. What software are you using?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Same, latest explorer update on aqua map but I mentioned in my post I edited the screen shot of the chart to show the current location of the reds and the growing sandbar
  14. benjay

benjay New Member

Ah! Sorry I overlooked that. Well done and thank you!!
  15. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

A lifetime ago I had an only 30 ft. Sea Ray spt. bridge with a pair of gassers that only drew about 3 ft. The ole sand bar slightly did a job on both props enough to cause nasty vibrations. Had a new set of her little 16 X 16's & a cheap wheel puller flown over on Chalks and between the freight & duty it cost me more then the cost of just the new props. Since then I only ever entered N. Bimini by running along the beach from near the S. Island's cut but not been back in ages nor have any desire to since no more Marlin tournaments and all the development.
  16. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

It was 1976 or thereabouts,...a year before it snowed in the Babamas. I had just purchased a 47 foot wood ketch along with a partner, and it was setting in Ft Lauderdale. He & I, along with a stray lady from NY that we called 'space cadet' decided to visit Bimini.

Most all folks would sail down to Miami, then wait for smoother weather to cross the stream. We didn't have time for that sort of venture, so I surmised we could safely cross the gulf stream even in a northern breeze, since it would be on our beam. We left out at night so we would be arriving in daylight. We had a wonderful sail across the stream with that balanced ketch.

Unfortunately I miscalculated the the combo of our leeway and the northerly drift of the Gulf Stream. We ended up too far south, then had to sail back north to find the entrance to Binimi. By then conditions were not favorable to make the entrance into Bimini, so we anchored off shore (close to the beach) just north of the entrance.

Of all the rotten luck the breeze continued to build out of the south west all night into the morning. As I attempted to get the old diesel cranked up, it developed a small leak that misted diesel fuel over the bilges. Now the water and fuel were sloshing around the roller vessel was making not only a mess, but almost no power.

I told my 2 shipmate friends we were going to have to take a giant leap of faith. (Neither one of them had spent much (any) time on a sailboat). I laid out my plan to head out (sail out)) to sea a bit so we could get a straight run towards the cut (surfing), then make a quick alteration to head north up into the port area. If we made an error in our sailing maneuver we would end up on the beach. There would be no turning back once we were surfing towards the beach.

They bought the story, and WE PULLED IT OFF, to a big applause once we entered the harbor!!

It took us 2-3 days to try and clean up bunks and bedding and food goods from all of the diesel fuel that sloshed all over. ...but then we got down to some SERIOUS partying.

BTW, I had taken a disassembled Prindle catamaran along for the ride, We put that together and offered rides for many other boaters visiting at the time.
    great old memories....
    Brian
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Great story!!