Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Walker Privacy Matters Click for Northern Lights

Bilge Alarm on 48’ Ocean SS

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Hooked, May 24, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hooked

Hooked New Member

Does anyone know where the sensor is located for the high water bilge alarm on a 1995 Ocean 48’ SS?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Look in all the bilges and see if there is any water
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hopefully on a 48 footer you have more than one!! There should be one in the ER, lazarette and forward bilge.

Should be easy to spot. They re often installed close to the bilge pumps.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

O K, I understand your looking.
    There are just so many variables.

I'll try to help;
    If your bilge pumps use typical float switches, Your looking for a similar switch near by, like on my Bertram.
    24469.jpg
    The alarm float switch is near by but mounted about 6 inches higher than the pump float switch.
    This is the most typical factory install on our old boats.

If your bilge pumps use the Ultra SR float switched like this one, the alarm switch is built in (Not in the JR switch).
    s-l1600a.jpg
    These detect and keep track to ensure the pump is winning the bilge water war.

Then the last typical high water flat switch is a black doughnut on a brass long bolt.
    Usually mounted right under the deck or on a frame, still around 6 inches higher than the pump switch. I don't have a pic at this time.

I have also witnessed basement, and many other strange free floating high water alarm switches that I can not logically explain.

So, What makes you think you even have a high water alarm?
    Not all boats were built with them.
    Was it mentioned in your purchase survey?
    Did your boat get low without notice?
  5. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

on the 2001 43, there are 3 float type bilge alarm switches, lazarette, ER and fwd bilge, same as what captain ralph posted. these trigger an alarm bell on the bridge. Our previous 1989 38 had same setup.

if the boat doesnt have it installed, its easy enough to to have done. I would recommend having indicator lights on the bridge so that you know which bilge has water.