Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Abeking Privacy Matters

Big Day for the U S of A

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by revdcs, Nov 4, 2008.

1. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Well, It has finally arrived - the Big Day!

I can't remember an American Presidential Election ever being covered by the UK media in such detail or over such a long period of time.

Whoever wins today will probably be the most powerful man in the world, whose influence will not just be restricted to domestic matters but will also have considerable impact upon the global economy - which in turn will affect the yachting industry. Let's hope that the voters get it right!

Good luck to all our American friends - we will be thinking of you today.
  2. brunick

brunick Senior Member

i agree - even here in germany they're reporting the whole time about it - one of our biggest news-television N-TV is reporting full 10h from tonight on through the night (our night ;))

not that i'm not interested in it, but this coverage is very heavy - its comparable to german election

guys: vote now
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Guys, this isn't the place to politically oriented opinion and/or discussion.

This is undoubtedly a very significant and historic day, but let's keep things civil in here.
  4. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Thanks Kevin,

I started this thread to let our American members know we were thinking of them on what may well be a momentous day - not as a platform for political strife. I was about to say this in response to the two posts you deleted - but you beat me to it. Thanks again. :)
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Just caught some of the morning news. Looks like the voter turnout is potentially record breaking. Congrats. Nice to see the "participatory" part of participatory democracy actually happen.

Kevin: you could always move this to the yacht club. Suppose that Cuban Rum ought not to be on the shelf today.:)
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

revdcs, I think your "momentous" comment is appropriate. There is a saying here that the usual difference between the candidates from our two parties are Twiddly Dee and Twiddly Dumb. But this time around really is different. And which way the result turns could very well be momentous. At least it ain't a dull election!

Kelly
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'm assuming that rev posted it in General Discussion since that's the top forum and is seen first by anyone visiting... I'll leave it here for today, unless Carl chooses otherwise.
  8. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Hi revdcs and brunick and Codger:

Yes, it is going to be a nail-biter of a day in these United States. Interestingly, not everyone in the boat business that I've spoken with is lined up on just one side, which comes as no surprise. Nowhere else have I ever seen a more independent-minded bunch of people, none of whom are dopes.
    No matter who wins the election (actually, I have some strong thoughts but will appropriately zip my lip), life will go on and our vocations/avocations, yacht-wise, will eventually hit the boomtimes as they always do.

IIRC, they were interviewing Frank Williams of F1 fame after his (rental car) accident and he said, "So I lost my legs--tough sh*t".
    We will all need some of Frank's toughness in the near term.
  9. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I couldn't agree more! Fortunately the current economic mess (caused during slick Willies presidency) will pass and who ever our new president is will become a hero as the economic cycle will turn again as it always does.

Did anyone else see the news video today where members of th "Black Panthers" were standing outside of a polling station slapping billy clubs in their hands? Voters were saying it was "very intimidating" and the police were called
  10. Captddis

Captddis Guest

I guess it all depends on who has the opinion, My post gets dumped and the others stay. I can see you are are not biased.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Which is not the truth, three posts were deleted and one edited... Kevin did the right thing.
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Kevin biased? He's from Canada! :rolleyes:

Captddis, I read your posts from my PDA today and I was quite taken back. I was hoping one of our moderators would remove your comments because I thought it was inappropriate as well. We try to avoid discussions about politics and religion. It's an area that often generates heated debates and it's usually a turn-off for viewers on other forums.

Revdcs made a concerned post to let viewers in the U.S. know that others around the world are pulling for the best outcome for our country, no matter what our political denomination. It was a heartfelt post to wish YOU and other people in the U.S. the best. I think it shows a lot of class.

Let's try to show the same.
  13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Thank you Lord. I thought he was going for strike 3 and sex was going to be mentioned as inappropriate, even though the most appropriate terms to apply to some of the yachts that show up in these pages can best be described in those terms.:D
  14. Captddis

Captddis Guest

I was not the one who said to vote right and then added that he stands for change! I responded with an equally classy post. I wish the best to you for the election result you desire.
  15. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

What an interesting day to say the least.
  16. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Many Thanks to you and our worldwide YF Family for sharing with us this truly momentous day in American History!
    :)
  17. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

the vote is over

Gratulations from Germany

We all hope for a good way for the USA with BO.

We can NOT divide politics from economy, freedom and peace.
    The most of are depend from the market and we all hope for better times :)

I like to quote BO: God bless you, god bless America.

G.
  18. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Well, it's all over, bar the shouting - and there is usually plenty of that, no matter who wins!

I agree with Loren and Ct/Dave's long term view that the economy will bounce back. The question for the mid term is 'who will be the next casualty?’ We are now moving into the next phase of this crisis with banks refusing corporate refinancing. Some of that is politically driven, especially where governments have bailed out banks in the past few months, but other banks are jittery about going the same way.

With fewer orders coming in, firms are getting desperate for working capital and if the banks won't provide it, they will go under. Sadly, it's usually the little guys that get hit the hardest - and they often produce the best work and are in the vanguard of innovation. Let's hope that the financial and political powers throughout the world recognise this and will do what they can to help. The economy is not just about the big boys, it's about the little ones who will be the big boys of tomorrow.

Congratulations (or commiserations - depending on who you voted for) to everyone in America. I hope the new year and a new presidency will bring prosperity and many more beautiful yachts!
  19. brunick

brunick Senior Member

i just can congratulate - was all nigh up and was happy for the winner,
    i think the party out on the streets tell it all :)
  20. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

...Amen...