Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Bethcha I can get Carl to say "Holy Crap!"

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by PropBet, May 9, 2010.

1. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Oh My God!!!
  3. Ward

Ward Senior Member

How the heck do you fly that when you can't see it most of the time?
  4. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

awesome !!!
  5. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

It got me, Holy Crap! I was expecting a boat though. I went and watched a group of locals a few times run big (4-6') deep V RC boats with weed eater engines in Salt River lagoon and had the same reaction. Some of those boats were hitting close to 100 real mph.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Holy turbine turd! Speed is wonderful drug, even when standing still. In another life, I was pretty zippy too. Here's my TSK Blackshark. Best top speed on radar was 115 mph. I really miss flying, but these days I'm watching something else fly by........... time!

Attached Files:

7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I said the 'F' word.

In the office.

With the Boss and clients there.

They said 'Holy Sh...........' too.
  8. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Salt River in St.Croix..?

The manager of the marina in Salt River has a few RC boats, but they are powered by sail and only go fast in hurricane conditions..:D
  10. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I still...do not understand how it can fly....seems to beat the normal dynamics you are accustomed to.
  11. YachtForums

All of the required surfaces necessary for flight are accounted for. Contraptions such as the AirMower and Snoopy's Doghouse have become easier to control with the advent of 3-axis Piezo gyros.
  12. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

What kind of price point are we talking about to get into the turbine jet RC plane field?
    Is that a $500 plane, or $5,000 for something like that?
  13. YachtForums

I've been away from it for a few years, but electric jets should be under $500. The real thing is easily $5k plus. Last time I looked the engine alone was $3500. Maybe prices have come down?

If you're interested, I strongly advise a simulator. The new crop of sims are so realistic, there is no longer a need to fly the real thing. (no joke)
  14. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I see that hobby much like I do an onion.
    You peel it layer for layer, $100 dollar bill at a time.
    My guess, and I may be way off here, but something tells me it's a rather large onion!

I'm happy to see them fly on someone else's checkbook!
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

A simulator on your desktop PC, or a dedicated "box" you can rent time on?

Got a microsoft Flight Simulator with a DC-3 program.
    Kind of cool to fly the old -3 around on my PC, reminds me of the old days when I flew the real thing in Alaska and the Carribbean..Them were the days.
  16. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Haha. I'm talking late 1980s so probably not the same manager. We kept a 22' Boston Whaler Revenge in the water there for a couple of years. On occasion we would see them running the RC boats after getting out of the inner harbor. Finally my brother and I took the truck down to the beach they were running from and watched them. At the time we were racing 1/10th scale electric buggies on a local track so anything fast and RC caught our attention.
  17. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

Many moons ago, I decided to try this hobby. After spending countless hours building a tail dragger, I was ready for take off. With the help of my friend who flew often, it took to the air and it was great. Of course he had the controls. When he asked if I'm ready to try it I said sure. As the plane flew past me it was great. However once it's coming at you the whole world is pointing at a different direction. It was a beautiful crash!!
  18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well, I lived on a sailboat in Salt River from 1986 to 1988 so perhaps we ran across each other?

At the time managment changed quite a bit, but we had a mad Italian named Mario when I was there.

No, he did not do any RC stuff.

The present manager, Hugh has been there about 6 or 7 years and he is the one doing RC boats and airplanes.

I still go down there to scuba on the wall outside Salt River, great diving..
  19. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

20. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Perhaps.

The Boston Whaler was a twin engine outboard with "Fast Enough" on the back. One thing we always looked forward to was a young lady on a boat anchored just outside the marina who used to work on deck completely nude. We'd smile and wave as we went by and she'd smile and wave back to us. Unfortunately we had a rather boorish friend from the mainland come visit us. We were taking him out on the boat for the day and he saw her and started hooting and hollering and whistling and stomping his foot on the floor. We stopped him as soon as we realized what he was doing but the damage was done. From then on as soon as she saw the boat coming she would duck below decks. It's not like the friend had never seen a naked woman before either, he had been with the same woman at the time for over ten years.