Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for JetForums

BBQ's and Pig Roasts Onboard

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

They left out Turkey deep-fryers and crawfish boilers ;)
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I only deal with smaller boats as you know, but the number of BBQ's I see hanging on rails (especially on small sailboats) or hibachis on swim platforms is scary. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but open flame, charcoal and propane on a boat does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
  4. BMS

BMS Senior Member

I see a lot of these as well. What also makes me nervous is the small space heaters I have seen this winter. When staying in already cramped quarters having a heat source of this kind can spell disaster.
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I have a group of friends that do a pig roast once a year. Different location each year, never released until a few days prior to the departure. And then it's an actual race to get to the GPS coords, once released to the group. They actually bring a pig along with them. After the 'grease the pig / catch the greased pig' debauchery wind down, they tie up the floatilla near shore, and take both the pig and fire off the boats. Dig a pit in the sand, bonfire, roast, eat, drink, through the night. etc.

We know that fire and boats don't mix well. Our compromise is a small propane like grill that we set up on the swim platform when in use. Once cooled and cleaned, it tucks away in the Laz.

Anything with open flames / hot coals on a boat puts me on edge. I can't imagine having a hibachi or otherwise open fire type grill hanging on a rail or sitting on a deck as much of the cruising world does.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Here are some pics of a couple ...

Attached Files: