Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Westport

BBQ/Grill Mounting on 400 Sedan Bridge

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Thisisit, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Looking for some ideas...

We recently changed boats and will be cruising in our 400 DB come this spring. I built a permanent BBQ mount on our previous boat (an aft cabin) which served us very well. I'm looking for ideas and pictures of permanently mounted BBQs on a Sedan Bridge. I would like it to be out of the way and I would like to use it while staying dry should I need to grill during rain showers.

We have an extended awning, aft of the bridge deck, which allows the custom camper back to drape vertically to the transom and quarters. The camper back isn't always up but the awning is. We board our boat from the starboard side, usually using the swim platform. My wife scissor kicks her way into the cockpit from the dock. The grill we use is a Dickinson Sea-B-Q.

Any ideas and pics would be greatly appreciated. I am not above copying someone else's design. Besides, imitation is the best form of flattery.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A rod holder mount usually works very well or does a mount that clamps on a railing.
  3. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Thanks, Capt J. I did toy with that idea but I would like to have it swing overboard for grilling and back in to stow. Ideally, I would like to leave it on the mount all the of the time. The trick is to do it in a way so it doesn’t interfere with the canvas.
  4. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Picked up a post mount for the swim platform at the Toronto Boat Show. I guess I will convert to a stow-and-go griller.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This is a better idea. I once saw a new sunseeker coming into the port with a semi circle worn right through the navy gel coat because the BBQ lid fell off and was swinging back and forth on the cable after it fell off of the lif
  6. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Guest

so what did you end up doing with the grill? I have the exact same question for the 400 sedan bridge. Thanks in advance!
  7. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I installed the removable post type on the swim platform. A couple of pointers:
    Easier to do while on the hard.
    Pick a spot in between platform support stringers.
    I chose stbd side but not at the extreme edge. The base would have been under foot while boarding.
    Once you choose a spot, install bbq on the post and make sure you tighten the post fully with the bbq attached. I screwed the base tempotatily to a flat piece of lumber for leverage. This ensures proper lineup before you drill holes. You will not have enough torque to tighten the post by grabbing the post by hand.
    I drilled the base holes out to 5/16. I used 2" SS oval head bolts, washers and Nylock nuts. And of course, 3M 5200 under the base and under the platform. The longer bolts allow room to apply washer and to start the bolt before the 5200. I find it less messy this way. Then I tighten the bolts. Careful... snug them up, do not overtighten.
    Forgot the steaks though.
  8. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I guess I meant "start the nut"