Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Battery System on 1995 Ocean Yacht 48' SS

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Hooked, May 8, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hooked

Hooked New Member

Could someone explain to me why I have two 12V batteries up on the bridge under the helm that are wired in series to produce 24V? I know the starters are 24V and that there are special solenoids in the engine room that provide 24V to the starters from either bank of 4 12V batteries in front of each CAT 3196 TA engines.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The batteries on the bridge are for your electronics so they have clean power.
  3. Hooked

Hooked New Member

But why are they hooked together in series to produce 24V? The electronics are 12V.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This I have no idea. A lot of electronics can do either voltage. Only other thing I can think of is someone added a 24v bank for something else. Stereo system, lighting etc. Could be using a 24v to 12v DC to DC converter for electronics. Follow the wires and see where they go. If you can't follow the wires, take the positive off and see what systems stop working. Without pictures and/or being on board, it's impossible to say.
  5. Hooked

Hooked New Member

Thank you Capt J. I appreciate the advice. I didn't know that about the electronics. That would make sense. I was thinking that I would need to trace them out and will do this.
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

As Capt J said, most modern electronics will work on a range of DC voltage. Usually anything above 9v and below 32v. Your electronics will typically shut themselves off below or above these ranges for self protection. I know for certain my Simrad suite shuts off if voltage goes above 32v even for a split second. Don't ask how I know this :);)
    Hooked likes this.
  7. Hooked

Hooked New Member

Very helpful thanks