Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Glendinning

battery problems 2

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by adambomb, Aug 10, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. adambomb

adambomb Member

So I go to start the boat today and dead .I topped off the batteries about two weeks ago and they would start the boat. I checked 1 was empty and the other was almost.do I have bad charger or it being hot make the water evaporation occur or is it over charging or just old batts .what if anything could make the water disappear ,I got stuck alot of problems
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

batteries shoulndt be dry or almost dry in just a couple of weeks... sounds like your charger is cooking them but it's impossible to say any inteligent beyond that since you dind't even bother telling us what kind of batteries, how old they are and most importantly what kind of charger you have!

first thing to do is check the voltage with the charger off and then on.
  3. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

Adam, one of the first things I did after getting my boat a month ago was exchange the batt's that came with the boat for new ones. The previous owner said that the batt's were 'kind of old' so I took no chances and replaced them (2 of them) for about $230. or so for peace of mind.

Do you turn off the batt switch when you leave the boat? That may be a deciding factor. When I leave my Carver, I turn off the batt switch but leave the shore power on so the batt conditioner/charger will keep the batt's up to par. Even if the batt switch is off, the batt charger/conditioner will still charge them. So far so good. I have replacement LED's coming to replace all my G4's because the halogens take a lot of power and generate a ton of heat. Next I will reduce my sound system to 2 amps instead of 3 due to overkill by the previous owner.
  4. adambomb

adambomb Member

I have 2 group 31 batteries the heart interface link2000 and batt switch for house power,now one of my batt was weak ,should the charger only charge that one or does it always charge both. This link 2000 seems very complex with equalizer and other options.but if one was bad then it might keep the charger running. Thanks for the help guys
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the link 2000 is not the charger, it's a remote/control module used by many Xantrex chargers.

usually yes, if one bank is weak then teh charger might keep charging it and possibly overcharge the other bank(s). if this just happens once in a while it's ok, but if the bank is really weak or has a bad cell it could really overcharge the other one(s)
  6. adambomb

adambomb Member

Thats probably what happened so I'm gonna get two new batteries. Thankyou
  7. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

While you're at it, check for any other batt's too that might exist in your system. For instance in addition to my 2 house batt's, I also have two golf cart 6 volt batt's in series (for 12 volts) for an inverter also being charged off the main bank, and a stand alone battery that the generator solely uses for startup; the gen also charges the batt while running.