Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno

Azimut BCS Autopilot

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Harold Bishop, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Harold Bishop

Harold Bishop New Member

I bought a 2005 50' Azimut Fly in 2017, but the power steering never worked. I have slowly made my way through the system and confirmed commands, 24v power, etc. at the BCS steering pump. But when I apply 24v directly to the autopilot power connections for left and right steering commands, nothing happens.

Is there an on/off button on the BCS steering unit that would turn off the electric steering solenoids? There are rubber caps over both of the solenoids, and I have looked inside and all looks good. Is it possible that the solenoids could burn out?

Attached Files:

2. Harold Bishop

Harold Bishop New Member

Figured it out. MarineMax installed 12v plotters in a 24v boat; they used a transformer to reduce power. But the autopilot spring tension knob was set for 24v from the steering head not 12v. Once I loosened the spring tension the solenoids operated normally. The ST6000 has a constant output of 6.8v but delivers 10v when commanding a steering change. So tough to set the tension control knob … but, it avoids a new steering pump.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thanks for the update, Your input here may help others.

A couple of thoughts, DCv (Direct Current voltage, battery power) uses DC to DC converters to increase/decrease DC voltage levels.
    Transformers are used in ACv (Alternating Current voltage) increase/decrease AC voltage levels.

Most plotters can run on 24Vdc but I recall the ST6000 is only 12Vdc.
    The ST6000 does require some current (Amps) when driving a pump.
    You may want to check the Amp rating on your DC to DC converter. This could be why you are reading low DC voltage to your AP pump.
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Circa 2005, I think the Raymarine AP course computer would be a SmartPilot, and the ST6000 was just the control head. If that's semi-correct, documentation for the SmartPilot might be useful too... if you haven't been through that already.

Maybe.

-Chris
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Had to look it up.
    Yes, the ST6000 is just a SeaTalk head.
    I was remembering a RayMarine pilot on one of my boats long (long) ago. The same styled head did it all.

The ST6000 drives the ole Autohelm 100/300 control boxes.
    The 100 drove low current pumps and the 300 drove high current pumps.
    These boxes are available to work 12 or 24Vdc. It is just the sea Talk levels that signal it.
    This may be the 10Vdc that the OP was looking at.

So, I'm not sure that all is really fixed.
    The OP commented that it was solenoid valves that was running the pilot pump.
    I am familiar with this setup as my Simrad equipment still drives a Robertson CR100 pump.

I fear Harold Bishop needs to dig deeper into his Mut/MM install and equipment issues.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I guess Autohelm predates our SmartPilot, then...

-Chris
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember the even older RayMarine (Raytheon) Pilot I purchased at E&B marine, around the corner from the Boat US store.
    Everything except the compass was in the head/display. It worked great on a 34 sport convertible.

Any of you kids have a clew what I just typed?
    You have to be old to remember E&B.