Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by 'RoundTheHorn, Sep 30, 2008.

1. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Just wondering about the avatar guidelines having had Donald Rumsfeld staring at me for some time now. I realize that alloyed2sea has the moderator title, but I would hope the rules were for everyone.

"3. Avatars should be marine and yachting related!"

Is "Rumsfeld" the manufacturer of a boat that I am not familiar?
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Very early on (circa 2004), Eric joined YF and brought a wealth of knowledge, not to mention a great sense of humor. There were only a few of us at the time and we needed all the participation we could muster, so I turned a blind eye. I've fought some battles over avatars and it would make my job a lot easier if we all complied with the basic guidelines; to keep YF nautical in nature.

Eric, how 'bout a picture of your Roamer?

Thanks! :)
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Just wondering about the avatar guidelines having had Donald Rumsfeld staring at me for some time now. I realize that alloyed2sea has the moderator title, but I would hope the rules were for everyone.

"3. Avatars should be marine and yachting related!"

Is "Rumsfeld" the manufacturer of a boat that I am not familiar?[/QUOTE]

At first sight I thought that alloyed2sea should be granted a bit of leaway since he's been with the Forum so long, but then I looked at when 'roundthehorn joined. Add to it that I'd really like to forget the existance of Rumsfield and that I wouldn't mind looking at a nice Roamer when I log on and I have to say it sounds like a good idea.:) It's certainly not worth getting upset about, but......"Eric, how 'bout a picture of your Roamer?

Thanks!" .
  4. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Peoples' Choice

Fine, choose:
    [ Remember: "An avatar is a computer user's representation of himself or herself, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games, a two-dimensional icon (picture) used on Internet forums and other communities, or a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs. It is an “object” representing the embodiment of the user. The term "avatar" can also refer to the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of an Internet user." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing) ]

Attached Files:

5. YachtForums

Hi Eric,

I certainly don't intend to offend. I have the utmost respect for you and personally find the Rumsfield avatar hilarious. About 3 years ago I had set some guidelines for avatars because people were starting to push the envelope of what was reasonable. To help maintain YF's theme and continuity, we chose to make it simple... to keep avatars marine related.

Shortly thereafter, the old adage "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" ensued, so I whittled the parameters down to "NO faces, cartoon characters or babes in bikinis". Avatars must be nautical in nature. Now... you could argue the fact with your choices above, but then it leaves me with the same problem. When an exception is made, I get taken to task. I need to ask your cooperation and to lead by example. :)
  6. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Halsey

My vote is for Bull Halsey.

And as the person who brought this up, let me say that I just don’t feel it is necessary to bring a modern political figure that people may have passionate feelings about into a non-political forum. There are people who are supporters of Donald Rumsfeld as I'm sure there are many detractors. Given the highly charged political atmosphere of the last few years, I do not see the reason to have such a controversial figure as an avatar given the guidelines of the forum limiting choices to a nautical nature.
  7. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

It seems to be a thorny issue for some, but for others of us the only thing that matters is the question of SFW/NSFW (Safe For Work/Not Safe For Work). Beyond that, dwelling too much is a bit of time wasted you'll never be able to retrieve.
  8. YachtForums

Gents,

I've split the posts on avatars (above) from the original thread. Eric has updated his avatar. Thanks!
  9. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Awwwwwwwww...
    Now you went and spoiled it. My hunch was that Rummy was an active participant in the Forums, and that he chose 'Redman' as some sort of 'nomme de guerre'.

Being a modern sort, I'd have voted also with 'roundthehorn for Adm. Halsey as a replacement. The other guy appears to be kind of a dandy [he says as he prepares to don his flame suit].

Being a patriot as well, Eric, I applaud your new (well, 1775-1776 new) U.S. Ensign & Jack. Three cheers!

---still proudly avatar-free
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ditto, I like your sense of humor there.
  11. brunick

brunick Senior Member

just came across this - i didn't even had an avatar :(

so now i got one :)
  12. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yea, I realized that too last night, so I fixed one for myself!