Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Kevin, Jul 14, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I've got a question for ya Carl. Do you have a nice clear side-view pic of the M-140 launching? In the thread about her there's a version of the pic I'm looking for, bit it's more of a stern view. The one used in the charter ads is pretty much directly side-on. I want to use it as my avater... either that or the new Corum ad. :eek:
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Can do Kevin! :) Give me a few minutes to find the Millennium file. Not sure if it's on my hard drive or a CD...
  3. YachtForums

OK... I found three and I've made them into avatars for you. I uploaded the samples below. :)

Attached Files:

4. YachtForums

I know that side shot of the M-140 your talking about. I saw it in the charter ad too, but I can't find it anywhere. I should be up to the yard in the next few days. I'll see if I can get that shot. :)
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Finally found it... it's in the Chamberlain Yachts brokerage ad. :) I scanned it in as best I could, but the pic was so small to begin with it only came out half-decent.

Attached Files:

6. YachtForums

There it is! Easily one of the most memorable pictures in the industry. Great choice for an avatar. :cool:
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

There's just something inherently wrong about a vessel with that much luxury getting that much air under herself. Wrong, but oh so cool! :cool:
  8. YachtForums

It certainly shocked an industry! But the truth is... those shots were strictly for effect. The tabs on the M-140 take up the entire aft section of the hull, behind the intakes gullets. They're monsterous tabs with a huge amount of travel (over 2 feet!).

During the original sea trials, they were pretty shocked too. Staluppi immediately had a chase boat film the 140 doing this and sent the pics out to the media/press. Trust me, this isn't the angle of attack this boat normally runs at. It can run as flat as you want it, or... MOON SHOT! :D
  9. YachtForums

Kevin,

I'm gonna delete the spam part of this thread and maybe we can make it a little more productive... getting people to get their avatar-act together. Will re-name and edit now.

Carl
  10. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I'm lost (again :eek: ). Does YachtForums supply a collection of avatars? If so, how do I browse it?

Kelly Cook
  11. JonS

JonS Senior Member

As far as i know it a case of "get yer own!" Kevin here just needed help finding a particular image to use. I'm sure if you wanted a particular yacht you could ask if anyone has a suitable image for you to use.

<------ Of course, you could always design your own boat and use that :D
  12. YachtForums

A little info on avatars for those that are new...

Avatars can be any image you choose. They could be a personal picture, a cartoon character, an inanimate object, a political statement, etc. They are simply small pictures that give a little character to your online identity.

In other forums, this has been taken to an extreme with naked girls, gothic figures, etc. We're striving to maintain a marine oriented theme, so the only thing we ask is that you choose an avatar (atleast for YachtForums) that is conducive to the site. It could be your favorite yacht, or even a marine related item, such as a ship's wheel, bell, anchor, propeller, nautical flag, etc.

I've got over 10,000 yacht images on my hard drive, so if you have a particular yacht in mind, let me know... :)
  13. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Avatars certainly have become a "policing" problem for some message board sites. Besides vulgarity issues, the ones with animation can be either enchanting or a real nuisance :mad: .

The little yacht thumbnails are neat. But I'm reluctant to use one because it might appear that I'm pretending to own such a fine craft.

Some sites offer their own collection of avatars to pick from. Essentially elaborate happy faces, though using detailed bit maps instead of simple vector graphics.

Regardless of style, offering an in-house collection of avatars might cut down on the temptation to use avatars that require "police action"?

Kelly
  14. YachtForums

Excellent suggestions! :)

I started a collection of avatars some time ago (like over 2 years ago), but got SO busy writing stories, writing code, marketing, etc... I had to put it on the back-burner for bigger projects.

We're in the process of a complete re-design of YachtForums. I've been working on this behind the scenes for months, like a few hours every day. Once this project is finished, I'll put an avatar resource page together. This will probably happen after the gallery is implemented, because it would be a good place to put the avatars. The new gallery has thumbnail size images that will expand to super-size pics. I'll integrate it shortly after the new YachtForums goes "live".
  15. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Kool :) :) :)
  16. mariog

mariog New Member

check out mine, pretty conservative but cool I think...
  17. YachtForums

Good avatar Mariog! Welcome aboard. :)
  18. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Go Dutch

Well, not that many options being dutch...