Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Autopilot problem on my voyager

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Monepit, Jun 30, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Monepit

Monepit Member

My autopilot went crazy this weekend. It still works but the compass gives on correct readings. So needless to say when it engages it takes you anywhere it wants to. It is a ray 650 that most of the voyagers had. Any thoughts on what to look for would be appreciated. And no, I did place anything new by the flux gate. Thanks for any thoughts.
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I would like to help you but can't make head nor tails out of your post. Proof it once again and re submit please.
    You stated that your A/P went crazy and then said in the next sentence that it works? Your saying that your rate compass or flux gate has a constant heading error or has a variable error on different headings?
  3. Monepit

Monepit Member

By it works I mean it is not DOA. It engages, the pump works when you tell it to turn it turns, it just doesn't straighten back up. It just keeps turning. I tried a re calibrate and it was all over the chart. As I was doing a 360 degree circle the readings was from 10 to 180 off. The funny part is the way I was turning the reading was climbing. When it hit about 190 it started falling although I was still turning in the same direction. I wonder if the flux gate compass can go bad.
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Go back to your steering compartment and check your rudder feedback unit. You'll be looking for a small box with a mechanical arm or rod connected to your rudder post. Make sure that it hasn't come disconnected.
  5. Monepit

Monepit Member

I'll do that tonight when I get down there tonight.
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

What you described as your heading counting down once that you came to a certain heading wouldn't have anything to do with your rudder feedback being disconnected but check it anyway. And yes, rate compasses or Flux gates can go bad but will often show signs of going bad such as variable heading errors on different courses. Rarely do they just go all at once. Any idea how old the A/P is? Has anything aboard changed system wise ? Has any work been done on the boat recently? Any screws or fasteners been installed on hardware? any chance of running a screw into your wiring
  7. Monepit

Monepit Member

All good thoughts. I really didn't think the rudder feedback would be it bu like you say it's worth a check. The fluxgate is in the bilge under the master bead and I checked it and it looks fine. No screws put in anywhere. The only work I have done is remove the VHF 2 weeks ago but that's a couple feet from the course computer. I will check all the C/C wires though I case one of them could have been bumped or is loose. I changed the C/C last year. Old one went DOA. Bought a used one on eBay since they are no longer made. I really like this autopilot. This is the second boat with this unit and it usually works real well. I may have to replace it with a new one but I hate to spend 2 grand if I can get this one working again. Not impressed with Raymarine tech support. They have a number but don't seem to answer it or return calls. By the way, it is a 1999 vintage. I know it is 15 years old but I like the unit so if I can fix it that is my preference.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Rudder feedback is easy to tell from the helm. Turn the autopilot on in standby where you can see the rudder indicator on the autopilot unit and turn the steering wheel, you should see it moving on your autopilot unit.
  9. Monepit

Monepit Member

Good point. I already did that. It is working fine. Fluxgate or loose wire is looking likely.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Compass is most likely. I ran a 54' Hatteras and sometimes it would track perfectly, and sometimes it would just make a weird turn at cruise.....turns out they had mounted the compass 10" above the hot water heater and everytime the water heater cycled on, it threw the compass off and the autopilot would go nuts.
  11. Monepit

Monepit Member

I had the same problem on my last boat. So I don't think is that case. It has worked fine all along. He just started going nuts about two weeks ago. And it goes nuts all the time.
  12. Monepit

Monepit Member

Update. I went to the lake this weekend. I believe I narrowed it down to the fluxgate. I tightened all the screws on the coarse computer. Fussed with the splices in the wire at the C/C. And installed the VHF radio back in place. I don't know what removing the VHF could have to do with it but that's when the trouble started. As of right now, everything is working perfectly again. Took a 30 mile trip this weekend and used the autopilot the whole time and it worked flawlessly. I don't know exactly what did it but it is working. I have ordered a new fluxgate compass just in case it acts up again. Let's hope it doesn't.
  13. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I think I'd be inclined to remove the VHF again and monitor results. Just to see. Not knowing the specific cause would drive me crazy.

-Chris
  14. Monepit

Monepit Member

Good point. I'll do that
  15. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Me too.
  16. Monepit

Monepit Member

I bought a used fluxgate compass on eBay and replaced the old one this weekend. Problem solved. Appear toy the old fluxgate was going out. Works perfect now.