Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Westport

Atlantic Adventure

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, Jul 23, 2012.

1. travler

travler Senior Member

i can relate to how scared you can be i was on a crab boat in the bering sea when we had an engine room fire we blew a hydro line oil went into one of the gen set's caught fire then it got bad i'ts one of the worst night mares i have ever had

travler
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Once the vessel is too hot to stay on you have nowhere to go except overboard be it into a raft or into the sea. These guys might have got off too soon but unless you are there you don't know what the situation was like in real life. We also do not know what was shown on the manifest as being in adjoining holds and containers.

Just remember that all those gaps in the stacks would not normally exist on a box boat at sea, there have been a number of boxes blown clear off their lashings and over the side there.
  3. travler

travler Senior Member

i agree a 100% un less you are there it is hard to say what was going on i know things happen very fast some times, i would rather be on the side of caution than be a hero

travler
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Only thing worse would be looking at those photos and spotting your yacht lashed to an aft platform being shipped from the build yard, knowing that you may very well never get to see her for real.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Capttom

I have to respectfully disagree. My boat in transport would be issured, but if it wasn't, so what. The worst thing imo would actualy be working on that vessel with those poor souls. Fire aboard has alway been a primary fear of every sailor, particularly those manning the old wooden war ships, with decks and timber relentlessly dried under the blazing carribean sun and held togehter with tarred cordage. On that carrier pictured above, who knows what's in the containers next to the ones that are on fire? And what's in the ones that areP on fire? You can't just run over to a neighbor's and wait for the FD to arrive - tag, you're it.
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Beau, you're right. I wasn't trying to minimize the threat to the vessel or the crew that were onboard when the fire broke out. The report did say that all crew and passengers were removed from the vessel.
    It was my attempt at some humor through observation. Being in the disaster business, I see the destruction of fires, floods, tornados, etc as a regular part of my job. And I know first-hand the emotional and physical tolls on those that are impacted by these events. It's no joke when people are killed by these incidents.