Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

Athena exhaust/funnel loation

Discussion in 'Royal Huisman Yacht' started by albentley, Jan 30, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. albentley

albentley New Member

Quick question:

Where are the main engine exhaust extracts on Athena? I have been searching through loads of photos and can't seem to see any funnels etc.

Is it possible the extract is through the red protrusion under the waterline? Like in this photo:

Admin Edit: Link Removed

If so there would have to be some complicated pipework to prevent downflooding!

Thanks for your help.

Al
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I don't know about ATHENA for sure but I do know how they stop it on EOS having spent a bit of time in her Engineering spaces.

The Main Engines have an outlet on each side, when sailing and the engines are running the high side one is opened, this prevents a huge back pressure and the chances of water coming back up when the engine is off.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

That's disheartening. The photo in the link above was lifted from YF. They never bothered to change the name of the file, which I originally assigned.

Here is the image from YF's server. I'm removing your link.

[​IMG]

The exhaust is under the waterline, which I believe I referenced in my review of Athena. If not, then there was no reason, because the black soot beneath the boot stripe is the indicator.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/royal-huisman-yacht/3738-review-royal-huismans-athena.html
  4. albentley

albentley New Member

Thanks for the quick reply K1W1!

Thats how I thought they worked - but when purely motoring are the outlets still under the waterline? I am guessing if they are only just under then this wouldn't cause huge pressure issues.

Al
  5. albentley

albentley New Member

Sorry for using your image - its just what turned up on google image search. I did notice the black marks on the hull in your review but didn't see it specifically mentioned that this was the exhaust for the main engines. As a NA I work on much smaller boats so it surprised me to see such a small exit area for the main engines - I thought it might be for the generators instead.

I was also wondering where the intake is for the machinery space ventilation - any ideas?

Al
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yes, they are just under the water but they come out of the water once the yacht is pitching and heaving much like many yachts that have a 'wet exhaust' system.
  7. Alexander D

Alexander D Guest

I think the exhaust goes through the mast, like on the Royal clipper.
  8. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

It is a wet exhaust system and doesn't vent through the mast like on "Royal Clipper" to my knowledge. I think Carl and K!W! provided the right answers.

(YachtForums)

This is from the Star Clippers website...in RE to Royal Clipper
    www.starclippers.com/us/press-and-pr.html

This photo from the "Athena" review, clearly shows where the wet exhaust and the surrounding soot is on her. No venting through her mast like Royal Clipper.

Attached Files: