Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for JetForums

Another IPhone app....or two...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Loren Schweizer, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Lrgyot

Lrgyot Senior Member

now that is cool! I'm in the office on a saturday, and its got me thinking!!!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I hear you still can't copy & paste. Maybe the one they come out with at x-mas.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I got the I Phone from one carrier ( T Mobile)and a Blackberry bold from another (Vodafone). (I carry two phones with different service providers to reduce roaming costs.)

The I Phone is like something from the 19th Century but I am used to it's stupid things. It has certainly reduced the length of any messages I send as the Keyboard is so useless.

The BB is only able to send and receive e mail through a BB Enterprise server.( This ties me to using Vodafone UK for everything)Mine seems to be the only BB that has this limitation/restriction. I work a lot in Europe hence the T Mobile phone, the BB is from Vodafone UK. At $15 a MB for roaming data I wasn't planning on doing much browsing. I am using limited e mail on my Nokia E 70 and T Mobile on roaming when in the UK and it costs less than the UK one would even when the UK one is on it's home N/W. If it's a big or important message I hook to my server via web mail on Safari with the I Phone.

In my opinion and experience to date all these handsets are overrated for normal users who are not always in their home networks.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well I must say that progress sure has simplified your life.:eek: A couple of weeks ago I needed to have Verizon straighten out something with my wife's laptop. As we're taking care of it I happen to look around me to see my camera plugged into my laptop downloading pictures, while I'm doing e-mails. The headset is on my left ear connected to my home phone where I'm talking to Verizon who has control of my wife's laptop which is on my knee and the bluetooth is in my right ear connected to my cell on the desk connected to my wife so I can get her codes. I broke out laughing trying to figure out when and how this all happened to me.:confused: :eek:
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

NYCAP- Don't get me wrong.

I wrote that while looking at Six Nations Rugby on my lappie via Slingbox while my other half looked at TV in her own language. In the midst of it I spoke to a guy in FLL via SKYPE who is looking for a Chief Engineer and e mailed someone I know who was looking a while ago all the while connected to the wireless network at home

I used to use two Jabra Bluetooth headsets when driving,now my car does the T Mobile phone by default and my Tom Tom does the Vodafone. The Tom Tom also uses the Phone to give traffic update and re routes.

I used to get really bad neck ache with one or both headsets on when on long drives, I even identified them by putting a Banana sticker on one and always paired that with the Vodafone so when the phone rang I knew which one to pick up and shove in my ear.

I no longer have this problem and even have my SMS Messages read out to me when they come in, although you have to be careful who is in the car for this and other phone calls. I normally answer if with business company with my company name then own name and say that I have car full of people so as to warn callers to be careful what they say at the outset.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Aunt Bea, Help me find Mayberry, RFD....Please. I heard on the party line that there's a church social Saturdy night and they're going to have peach cobbler.;)
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Let´s hope Iphone will have an alternative landscape keyboard in the new 3.0 software coming soon...
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

At todays Keynote in Cupertino, the landscape keyboard was official. As well as MMS support, voice recording and 100 new features in all. The 3.0 will be distributed this summer. Here you can see the presentation for developers, it is about 90 minutes and the new stuff is within the last 30:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/0903lajkszg/event/index.html

Attached Files:

9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Finally, a landscape keyboard for SMS! Lots of other goodies in 3.0 too, but I think a hardware upgrade is in order now. The time between switching apps is getting longer than a delayed space shuttle mission. Maybe a new iPhone with a faster processor will debut in conjunction with 3.0 this summer?
  10. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

I heard something about a Verizon Iphone coming out in 2010, anyone know more about this? I have AT&T now but where I live Verizon gets much better service so for me switching to Verizon and keeping the Iphone would be icing on the cake!

Dan

Oh, and I for sure need that app for the race car! How can we download it? More importantly, how do we download the car? ;)
  11. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

There are conflicting reports on ATT's exclusivity on the iphone. Some quote through 2009, 2010, others report 5 years from 2006 when it signed, etc. It's not clear at first blush.

Knowing several at V in the development / new product engineering side, I can say pretty confidently [from discussions with them] that they aren't looking to play second fiddle and adapt their network to the iphone. Other manufactures are building just as sexy, and [arguably] better product which V will release shortly.
  12. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

13. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

Thats too bad...you should tell your friends at Verizon that all the cool kids are doing it:D

I tried the BB Storm from verizon but I just didnt like the screen and menus. The apple is much easier to use.

Thanks for the information PropBet
    Dan
  14. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

IMO, (YMMV) The BB Storm is a piece of crap.
    The interface on the phone is garbage. The "click" touchscreen is a novelty at best, and the form factor lacks. From what I've gathered, the people that love it either haven't used any other smart phone, and are comparing it to a regular razor or some such. Or, they are justifying their purchase by saying they like it. (similar to the iphones "keyboard, I guess") I don't know anyone that uses one in a business setting, that likes it. I know several people with the Storm, all professionals, and none like it.

This coming from myself, a long time BB user in both a personal and corp. world. (email, etc. is a huge portion of my activity)

As far as Verizon picking up the iPhone, it doesn't make sense for them to do so. There is zero strategic marketing value moving forward, and in the few customers they can pick up, and they are competing in a market that has been saturated by their competitor with the same product. No new product, no new services, no business path of success.

Verizon has plans and is rolling out equally appealing devices on their next network technology roll out which is said to blow away anything ATT does on their EDGE or 3G network.

It's always an interesting battle of technology and watching the "who's got what" game.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This chip could be in the next iPhone: http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=449
  16. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member