Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums

Annual cost

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by RMH, Aug 2, 2012.

1. RMH

RMH New Member

Howdy, I just joined YF.

My beautiful bride and I are early in the shopping for a live aboard sailboat. Our question is "How long is a string", er, I mean, What can be assumed to be annual expenditure of upkeep?

Particulars:

Cash on hand (for cash purchase of vessel): $475.
    Annual income will continue to be guaranteed minimum $50K.
    Full time liveaboard for two.
    Coastal cruising (USA west coast) 10% of time.
    Offshore passages Polynesia (approximate area of Hawaii-Marquesas-Vanuatu)

Preferences:
    Sailing catamaran
    'Topsides' galley
    Stand-up shower
    Clean aft deck-clear of cockpit awning, 4'x10' area is sufficient. NOT for dinghy or deck storage.
    45-50 LWL
    Ease of handling-solo. She would be great first mate but I'd rather not have to rely on her for a given task.

Comments

I am expert sailor with almost 40 yrs at the helm. 30K blue water miles, extensive coastal cruising. Her boating skills are basic with basic keelboat sailing classes.

We are not ready to buy due to on-shore commitments but anticipate to pull the trigger in 8-12 months.

Of that cash on hand: our preference is to purchase a 2-3 yr old used cat then outfit for passage. Looking around $250-300K initial purchase.

I anticipate we'll spend the majority of our time on the hook or a mooring.

Please to meet y'all.
  2. RMH

RMH New Member

I purposely did not mention preference for make or mfg. I've got a case of sticker shock but I know what we want is out there. Not too enamored with Lagoon due mostly to saloon layout.