Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Glendinning

Alternator\Generator

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by sanjuandreamer, Sep 21, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sanjuandreamer

sanjuandreamer New Member

Learning more about my 98 Mariner 350. I’ll be purchasing the manuals very soon...tired of guessing, but until then I have a question.
    I noticed the starboard engine has an alternator and the Port has a generator. I started the Starboard and the dash voltmeter read 13.5 volts. I shut it down.
    I started the Port. I noticed the voltmeter for this engine read 8 volts. I shut it down.
    Again, I started the Starboard and its voltmeter read 13.5. On the Port, I turned the key to “ACC” and then the volt meter read 13.5 too.
    In addition, where the isolator switch is located, for the starter batteries, are two toggle switches called “Gen 1” and “Gen2”. When these two switches are set to "On", or just one, when the Port engine is running the generator is charging the house batteries? While the alternator is charging the starter batteries?
    Then the battery charger, under the salon bench, when on shore power charges the house batteries when the Port is not running?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

13.4 is the normal/correct voltage for a 12v battery. Dropping to 8v on start up is not bad if it comes back up. Make sure you have sufficient water in all the cells. Those gen 1 & 2 switches would indicate to me that it is prepped for 2 gens. One of those switches should do nothing. Your alternator should be charging your batteries while running. The battery charger should also be charging them whenever you are on shore power or generator with the charge switch on. Make sure you have a smart charger or you could cook the batteries.
  3. sanjuandreamer

Update

Turns out there was some "Custom" wiring. Not a bad job and it seemed to have worked but wasn’t ABYC standard and was overcharging. The insurance company requested it be up to standards. Now, each alternator charges one or both starting batteries, depending on the isolator switch.
    The house batts are charged by the inverter when hooked to 110. Everything is looking.
  4. sanjuandreamer

Update

Turns out there was some "Custom" wiring. Not a bad job and it seemed to have worked but wasn’t ABYC standard and was overcharging. The insurance company requested it be up to standards. Now, each alternator charges one or both starting batteries, depending on the isolator switch.
    The house batts are charged by the inverter when hooked to 110. Everything is looking good.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It sounds like it.

I didn't read this earlier but on reading the previous posts it sounds like the voltmeter for the port engine is tapped in at the generator output. That would account for the low voltage reading at idle and not indicate the battery voltage is that low.

If you ran the engine speed up you would see the voltage rise until the regulator connected the generator to the battery buss. You would probably see a flicker of the needle and it would then stabilze at that 13.5 volt level or something very close.

If the voltmeter was connected to the starting battery it would serve very well to replace an ammeter. It would show the battery voltage before and after starting and show the voltage rise as it charged, and is a good indicator of battery and charging system condition.