Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay

Also new to forum

Discussion in 'Huckins Yacht' started by DavidK, Aug 12, 2011.

1. DavidK

DavidK New Member

Hello All,

My name is Dave and I just joined the site! I have started my search for a boat to purchase within the next four (4) months. We have narrowed down our search to Hatteras,Post and Huckins. I will buy a used boat and we are looking at convertibles in the 45 to 55 foot size.

I have been told that Huckins is "King of the Hill", so to speak in hull design and fit and finish. They certainly are very good on fuel economy. How do they handle in rough water?

I look forward to enjoying the forum!

Cheers,

Dave
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Welcome to YF, David K.

You need a Hummer, not a Lotus: the Hatteras, not the Huckins.

Other roughwater boats would include Bertram 50/54s, Buddy Davis 47s, Hats of appropriate length, 53-55 Vikings--solidly built, Cabos.....
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In your size range, some noticable hulls stand out. The 48' Cabo FB, the 54' Hatteras 2003 or newer, The post 50 is an ok SF and the 54' Viking is a good boat. While Huckins builds a nice boat, I don't see it as a true bluewater sportfish.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Personally, I'd take the Bertrams off the list.
  5. DavidK

DavidK New Member

Thank all of you for your reply! I sincerely appreciate your help with this!
  6. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Huckins are light, but that doesn't keep them from being pretty good competition for the mentioned brands up to about 5' seas. Then the weight penalty that all those others are burdened with in 90% of running conditions begin to be to their advantage. Drifting and trolling, you'll bob a bit more (and further, thanks to shallow draft) in the Huckins but they do back down straight and true.
  7. mabruteam

mabruteam New Member

Bertram

Why will you take Bertrams off the list?
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Because I don't consider them a rough water boat. At the time I was running a 51'. A 5' head sea beat the stuffing out of us, she yawed like crazy in a quartering sea, and rocked like a hobby horse when drifting. A dockmate had a 46. Worse. Then there's the one (I believe it was a 63) discussed here that was claimed to have fallen apart off the Carolinas. Not your daddy's battle-wagon. Back in the 80's Bertram would take anything you put them through and laugh.