Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Furuno

Alloy Yachts 54m Sloop - Tiara

Discussion in 'Alloy Yacht' started by YachtForums, Apr 20, 2004.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

On March 10, 2004 Alloy Yachts launched "Tiara"...

Tiara is the largest sloop capable of transiting the Bridge of the Americas at the entrance to the Panama Canal. She is the largest yacht built by Alloy Yachts and is slightly longer than the ketch Salperton delivered by Alloy Yachts in January 2002. Salperton was then the largest pleasure vessel ever built in New Zealand. This record now belongs to Tiara.

Tiara is built to 100 A1 SSC Yacht Mono G6 LMC CCS and "The code of practice for safety of large commercial sailing and motor vessels." She is flagged in the Cayman Islands.

The design from Dubois Naval Architects has created a fast elegant sloop with large living spaces and extensive accommodation. She has a beam of 11m (36ft). She is fitted with a dagger board and will draw 5.2m (17ft) with the dagger board up and 8m (24ft) down. The design displacement is 437 tonnes.

The sloop has a 63m (208ft) carbon fibre mast fitted with in boom furling. Sails are handled by Alloy Yachts sail management system, including in-house designed and built captive winches. For the first time, this system will include new stainless steel vertical winches designed and built in house. Reckman furlers control the genoa and staysail.

The carbon spectra sails are built by North Sails Auckland. Downwind sail area is 2500 sq m (27,000 sq ft).

Tiara has a large saloon and formal dining area for up to 12 guests. The flybridge above can be accessed from the raised pilothouse or from the aft cockpit.

The staterooms have plenty of natural light. Guest accommodation provides for an owner's suite in the centre of the vessel with separate office, two twin cabins which can be converted to doubles and two double cabins. The double cabins can be joined to create a VIP Suite. The crew layout for 10 crew has six cabins all with ensuite bathrooms.

Having gone through extensive tank testing, this large yacht sails particularly well and with extensive planning provides space and great comfort.

Tiara has a Caterpillar 3412E 1400 hp main engine and is fitted with two 104kW 6108T Northern Lights Generators.

The yacht will leave New Zealand early in May for the Mediterranean. Alloy Yachts will have her on display at the Monaco Yacht Show in September.

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

Tiara prepares to go to war! Seriously, she was launched on pontoons to provide clearance in the shallow river beside Alloy Yachts factory. After launch Tiara was towed to a dry dock near the city where the pontoons were flooded allowing the yacht to float off.

Attached Files:

3. YachtForums

The 54m (178 ft) sloop Tiara was launched one month early on 10 March 2004, only 25 months after construction began in February 2002.

Here she is on shake down cruise (or is that mast down cruise?)

;)

Attached Files:

4. yachtjim

yachtjim Guest

Any sailboat with a 3412 is OK by me :D

I read an article about that thing...very impressive indeed!
  5. wallace

wallace New Member

Let me show you a few pictures I took when I was on Tiara last week... 480 tons at 15.5 knots..... impressive !

Attached Files:

6. wallace

wallace New Member

The mast is 63m high, I stoped at 30m...

Attached Files:

7. wallace

wallace New Member

At night she's amazing !

Attached Files:

8. YachtForums

Way to go Wallace! Crows Nest pictures aren't something you see every day on YachtForums. I was getting a little vertigo from 'em. :D
  9. wallace

wallace New Member

Just a last one for the road. Just try to imagine the size of the mast... the sail is not even 1/3 out by the time I took this picture ! enjoy..

Attached Files: