Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Westport

Alfa Laval leaking

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pascal, Jun 21, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Another day, another system to test and another issue.... I swear I wonder what the previous full time captain was doing on this boat for the last 4 or 5 years

“New” boat has an Alfa Laval MIB303s. It seemed have been installed after delivery by the first owner as it is not shown on the detailed Lazzara manuals.

boat has a 1000 USG auxiliary tank but I don’t know how old the fuel is so I m not transferring it to the main tank (3000 USG) without cleaning it.

problem is that the Alfa Laval is leaking, badly, after a few seconds of engaging the transfer pump. It seems to be leaking from the bottom of the body. Whoever installed the unit didn’t use a containment pan under it unlike the fuel transfer pump which was factory installed with a catch pan

I pulled the top part of the unit, everything appears in place. Manual isn’t very detailed it a kind of those ikea style illustrations with little explanation. Any idea welcome? Reluctant to try it again as it means 20 minutes of mopping up.

or any recommendation for someone to service the unit in SoFl.?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The bottom of the unit is the tank of waste that it creates when spinning out the waste particles......did you empty that tank?

alfa laval mib 303 - Bing images
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

On ours the tank is mounted under the shelf... I was wondering what it was! Didn’t see it mentioned in the manual!
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Here is the setup. Indeed there is a tank built in under the shelf with a nice drain shared by the pump drain pan. Pretty well done actually so if the pump leaks it s all caught

the Alfa Laval manual doesn’t show the tank that’s why I never looked for a tank. There is a switch on top of the tank which I guess is to turn off the unit if the tank is full... but didn’t turn it off in this case.

I ll check the tank level later on

can’t believe the tank was in my face :)

Attached Files: