Click for Burger Privacy Matters Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

air boats crash into each other- sheriff loses a toe...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Bamboo, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

It reads that the sheriff was driving too fast around a corner during training...
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Where does the article or the video say that?

Both are very careful not to even hint at a cause.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I too missed that. Running fast is quite normal for these. I'd be more inclined to guess it would be a case of someone maybe not keeping to his side of the canal or maintaining a an effective lookout. Luckily more were not seriously injured. Hope that Deputy is OK.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's in the sub-article on the left side-bar, the link under "related"

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/pbso-deputy-recovering-from-injuries-in-airboat-crash-1327892.html

5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That may or may not be true, but it is only the statement of the tourboat captain with no corroberation. I also note that he said he turned left (to port) in an attempt to avoid the collision. That statement may come back to haunt him as it indicates that either he turned into the anticipated path of the Sherriff's boat or someone was on the wrong side of the canal.
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

airboats

Perhaps the sheriffs boat was on the wrong side and during the control problem was perceived to be turning left...
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Entirely possible. Head-on collisions are seldom cut & dried. However, the cap of the tour boat would do well to follow saying he turned to port with an explanation of why.
  8. Rolf

Rolf New Member

In my entire career I have never encountered a collision that wasn't more or less both-to-blame.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Had to take a double take on that, and put it into context. On the water you are correct (per the rules), IF both boats are in motion. 99% to 1% is posssible though.
  10. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Capt J found it, so take second look.

The sheriff boat was on a training mission with an intern from Germany- sounds like they were going high speed and ****ed up.

Here's the reason:
    "Capt. Randy Meeker, the tour boat's operator, said Thursday that the sheriff's office boat was traveling too fast as it went around a turn. Meeker said that he had to maneuver his boat to the left to avoid a head-on collision.

"It was going too fast and by the time he got around the bend and he saw me, I could see the boat wobbling back and forth as it was losing control," Meeker said. "He did everything wrong. He never let off the gas. He stayed on the gasHe shouldn't have been going around the bend that fast to begin with. He was way too fast for safety."

Do you have some reason to doubt the captain?
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

By adding more I meant more of an explanation of why he went to port instead of to starboard as is required unless.....

I would also be more comfortable with statements from his passengers and from those on the Sheriff's boat. Independent witnesses.
    That's not to say the Sheriff wasn't totally wrong, but it's a little early to draw conclusions from the little that is known and verified.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Airboats slide sideways a lot as they turn since they are completely a flat bottom hull. I would guess from reading it that the sherriff came around the corner like a bat out of hell and was sliding around the corner and the tour guide, who probably does the same exact tour so many times a day had to turn to port (the inside of the sherriffs turn) to avoid it. But who knows. I would guess the tour guide wasn't hotdogging it and the tour airboats are usually very large and heavy for an airboat and aren't able to get wild and crazy either. Kind of like comparing a fast sportfish to a marlow.
  13. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

airboats

what's the betting that the witnesses on the tour boat will have a totally different description of events than the guys on the sheriffs boat ??
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Pretty good, especially once the lawyers get involved. That's why I said: " it's a little early to draw conclusions from the little that is known and verified".
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would be willing to bet that the Sherriff's officers are going to try to cover their behinds with any way, shape, or form because their careers are on the line. Accidents happen everyday and 20 years ago, I'm willing to bet nobody would've sued anyone, it sounds like the people are not very hurt aside from the sherriff that lost a toe.
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

While not being in any hurry to lose a toe, I would be willing to consider trading one for the lifetime disability checks that deputy is going to get out of this deal.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Very true, I'm sure the disability checks are pretty healthy. However, it's the tourists that are sueing.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

20 years ago was the height of the ridiculous lawsuits and big awards and settlements without verification. As for a willingness to lose any body part in exchange for a disability check, that's nuts, and usually not a consideration for someone already making over $100K a year and looking forward to a pension after 20 years. Plus, he'll be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life because investigators will be watching to catch him dancing. I just found a P.I. parked behind my house the other day surveilling a neighbor who's on disability. If she's caught lifting a bag of groceries she could do jail time and have to pay back everything she's received. Not a fun life. Will the Sheriffs CYA? Absolutely, as will the tourboat captain. Will they risk their jobs, pensions and jail time to lie about it? I have my doubts, but anything is possible.
  19. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Any news on the investigation ??
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Probable is more the operative term. There seems to be an epidemic of this sort of thing over the past couple of years. The Hollywood, FL police department just got caught in an amazing scam to coverup a cop's car wreck by faking photos and reports to blame the woman who got rear ended by a cop talking on a cell phone.

Don't worry, this isn't going to turn into another CG small boat service expose' but don't ever forget that power corrupts and given the current "first responder" propaganda successes and the militarization of our police forces, it seems to be corrupting more and more of a rapidly expanding population.