Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for Cross

Aft holding tank vent

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by nomad69, Feb 23, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. nomad69

nomad69 Member

Curious if anyone with a 1995 355 carver might know which vent is the rear holding tank. I think mine may be plugged up. On the last pump out the holding tank wanted to collapse like it wasn't venting properly. I am going to try back flushing it with water but don't want to flush the wrong tank.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Don't back flush it with water. It may have a sealand holding tank vent filter and that will destroy it and plug it, and if it has one, it needs to be changed. Take the hose off of the tank and try blowing it out with an air compressor. Follow that hose to where it goes through the hull, see if there is a filter, if so change it.
  3. nomad69

nomad69 Member

I have a limited view down in the hatch and I don't see a filter anywhere close to the tank. Are they near the tank or vent thru hull fitting? Also I see a couple of 1 1/2" approx. sized hose (assuming this is the sanitation hose and pump out hose)and another hose that looks like its approximatly 1" o.d. Coming off the top corner. I am guessing this is the vent maybe?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Do you have a vacu-flush head? If so you have a filter somewhere along the line. It's several inches long and hard to miss. It could be anywhere along the vent line. If you don't, I don't know any other manufacturers that use the filter, but there could be. Once I determined there was no filter I'd use a short flexible probe, because the odds are that the blockage is a bug's nest near the outboard end.

If however you have a filter that will undoubtedly be the issue.

If you're unfamiliar with these filters Goggle Vacu-Flush filters or log on to the WM catalog.
  5. nomad69

nomad69 Member

I do have the vacu flush heads but do not see anything in line like a filter.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

7. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

My filters are located in bilge under aft cabin and galley floor.
  8. nomad69

nomad69 Member

Are they close to the tank? The only floor hatches (aft cabin) I have found are the two starboard side under carpet next to the head door and in front of the night stand. One hatch has the vacu pump and the other has the waste tank and shower sump.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Let's get down to basics. Open every closed area of your boat and see what's there. This is your boat. Besides learning where everything is on your boat you'll also know that the prior owner didn't forget a stash of drugs.:cool: Explore.
  10. nomad69

nomad69 Member

I haven't explored every inch of her yet but slowly getting there. If I find that stash of drugs, I'll let you have them. If I find the drug money ............well you'll just never know. :D
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's really not that hard to follow the vent hose from the tank to the vent on the side of the boat on a 35' boat. Now is it?
  12. nomad69

nomad69 Member

I never said it was that hard, I believe I asked if anyone had knowledge of its location. I was looking to save a little time tearing into everything.

Sometimes it can be a little more difficult chasing items on 35' boat. Everything is a little tight and harder to access. Sometimes bigger is better.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What Capt.J and I are trying to get across is that it will take very little time to trace the line, and it's time well spent. Even if I knew where your manufacturer generally puts it, it may be different on your boat. Different installers of various equipment for the same manufacturer often do things differently, and then there's what might have been done aftermarket.
    Seldomdry told you where his is. That might be a good place to start looking, but I DK if he has the same model and years as yours.
  14. nomad69

nomad69 Member

I'm good with that. I will start the search this weekend. Thanks for the advise.
  15. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

Same boat '95 355......
  16. nomad69

nomad69 Member

Gas or diesel?
  17. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

She is Gas..
  18. nomad69

nomad69 Member

No filters in line other than a dirt dobber. Cleared the bug carcass wrapped in mud from the line and hopefully the waste tank will breath now.
  19. Aimhii

Aimhii Member

Pics are always helpful
  20. nomad69

nomad69 Member

Here is a picture of a dirt dauber. Get one of those in a vent and it will stop it up every time.

Attached Files: