Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Advice on my 350 Crusaders

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Good Spirit, Jul 5, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    Having an issue with my Starboard engine. Starts and runs well up to 2000 RPM. Anything higher no power and engine runs rough. Am going to change out the fuel filters and check to make sure I don't have a fouled plug . Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Engines have approx 1000 hours. Runs excellent up to 10 knots at 1900 rpm. Any thing more and starboard engine just loses power.
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

carb? second stage opening? Fuel filter? air cleaner?

Is there any sputtering or backfire? hesitation, or just no power?

also when was last tune up?
    spark wires, coil, cap....
  3. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Runs very well up to 2000 rpm then no power. Changed the fuel filter late last summer, had engines tuned up this spring. I've been doing some research today and the plan is to change the fuel filters again this weekend I'll also check all plugs to make sure I have no missing cylinders. Final option will be to replace the coil on the starboard engine. I'm not sure what options if one of these is not the fix? No backfiring just no power and I'd does sound rough but as soon as I throttle back engine smothers out and runs well m
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Also try running it with the fuel tank cap off (if water won't get into the tank) or very loose. I've seen a clogged fuel vent cause lack of power also. If you're going to pull the plugs, just pull all of them at the same time and do a compression test. Also, this might sound dumb, but check the throttle linkage to make sure the engine is getting full throttle, also check for a small inline fuel filter. It sounds if the secondaries on the carberator are not opening up.
  5. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Thanks. Going to be a busy sat. But really hoping to get this resolved. Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge from this group.
  6. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Sorry for my ignorance but how do I check the secondaries on the carb?
  7. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Did some reading and now understand the secondaries. Will also be checking vacuum to ensure no issues there. Seems to be a lot of gremlins in the starboard engines on a number of new posts !!!!
  8. g36

g36 Member

what boat? year? and engine? if tbi then check and clean/replace the 3 fuel filters. if carb check what you have. 2 probably. check anti siphon valve or switch tanks with fuel selector valve to rule this out. any spark plug wires crossed? tuned up whats that mean? distributor been checked? rotor and cap? could be advance also if rusted and not moving. pls post your finding when fixed
  9. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Boat is a Carver 3608 1992. Engines are Crusader 454 usual spring tune up oil change, plugs last fall, mechanics from marina do the tune to ensure running well. I have not checked the distributor cap. Going out to the boat this weekend. Will change fuel filters as a start and work from there. I'll be sure to report back on solution.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why don't you get the same mechanic out to check your issue?
  11. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

We will be moving to Florida and purchasing a second boat as a live aboard so am trying to learn as much as possible especially for some of the smaller issues. If basics don't solve the problems then the mechanic will absolutely be involved.
  12. carver350

carver350 New Member

Had the same problem with my 92 454 crusaders. It would be fine up to 2000 rpm, and than would break up around 2500-3000rpm. Had a lot of water in gas tank. Settled to the bottom and pickup pumped it to engine. Had tanked pumped and fuel filtered (polished) and put back into tank.
  13. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Well problem solved. Changed out the fuel filters. Has water in them. Pumped the tank dry refuelled with fresh fuel, changed out plugs. Engines have never run better. With full fuel and water tanks was doing 16 knots at 2600 rpm. Very nice cruse at 7 knots at 1100 rpm. Thanks for all the advice. Great to have access to such knowledgeable folks.