Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

Adding Trawler to our search

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by TimP, Feb 18, 2019.

1. TimP

TimP Member

After looking at a few online we are adding trawlers to our search along with motor yachts. Anything I should stay away from? What would you recommend?

Layout is very different from our other preferences but we’re attracted to their larger galley and extended range capabilities.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You need to not search labels, but search your intended use. Everyone has a different definition of trawler even. I prefer "trawler type" boats for discussion because then it includes full displacement and semi-displacement boats and includes not just the Nordhavn's and Kadey Krogens or Helmsman or all the Tugs, but boats like Fleming and Grand Banks and Mainship.

The biggest criteria that you'll have to consider in adding more boats to your list is speed, sea keeping abilities, draft, air draft and things like that in addition to layouts which vary as widely from trawler to trawler as they do from one type boat to another.

You need to go back to boat buying 101 and make a list of your key requirements in a boat. Actually two lists, your must haves which are absolute and non-negotiable, and your preferences which you know you won't get 100% in any single boat.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

^^^^^ What he said.
  4. TimP

TimP Member

You're right. I'm kinda all over the page at the moment. We'll sit down and talk it out
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

What you're doing in your thoughts is quite common. It's what happens when we try to select a product but we haven't yet defined our requirements and the deliverables we're looking for. We're shortcutting the process rather. Over the years I've learned the value of the process and going about things in an orderly and planned way.

I encourage you not just to talk, but write it down (or put on computer) so you can review it and remind yourself. It will make it so much easier to look at and evaluate boats. You'll also revise it during the process of looking.

We all want to jump ahead to picking the boat before we even figure out what makes sense for us. We also look for others to tell us what we should get when we can't tell them our needs. So, all they tell you is what they like, not what makes sense for you.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Some suggested questions. I hope others will add to the list

Geography - where will you use the boat

How will you use it - day trips, weekends, extended trips, liveaboard

How many - a couple, young children, older children, guests.

Gunwales - walk around, both sides, rail height, hand holds

Pets

Bedroom arrangement - fore and aft, or all forward

Galley - electric, propane, alcohol. Microwave, convection, cooktop, reg. oven,

Salon and galley views - above or below

Storage - pantry, clothes equipment, toys (and adult beverages)

Refrigeration - 110 or 12volt or ice box

Electric - 30/50/100 amps, inverter, generator

Number of heads

Holding tank size for head, water and fuel

Inside helm and outside helm?

Stairs verses ladder for deck changes.

Speed - fast or regular trawler (about 18 knot vs 8)

Engine choice - single or twins, manufactures

Engine access - outside or thru cabin, accessibility

dock access - side entry with door, transom with door

Anchoring out, mooring, docked - tender needs

Answering some of the question will help you decide whether it's a 40 or 75 that you need. Its a start?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  7. TimP

TimP Member

Beau thanks for the list. Some of those things we have talked about but have not written anything down as olderboater suggested. I will start to do so.

As this would be our first boat, I don't think we want to get close to 75' :eek:
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Write the list, re-read it, then prioritize it.
    All boats are a compromise.
  9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Good decision.
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Your list will be a "living" document; as you have more requirements/questions, add or eliminate them.

If you have never had a boat, you may want to purchase something like a simple center console to learn the ropes and rules while you search. You'll also get to know the real difference between a 1 foot chop and a 3 foot breaking head sea. CC's are easy enough to "scramble" around on if you've committed a backing error, plus it gives you the mobility to peruse the harbor for a possible upgrade.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  11. KoffeeCruising

KoffeeCruising Member

Went thru similar process last year. You won’t know until you see them in person . Biggest benefit was attending boat shows (Trawlerfest and Palm Beach) to actually walk on, see/feel the build and layout of different makes and types of boats. My opinions changed from targeting an 8kt trawler with 2 staterooms and convertible bed area to a Motor Yacht with a bigger flybridge with table and grill, 3 stateroom (2 queen rooms and a bunk room) so we could have both kids and spouses, or 2 couples and a Captain. The most enlightening thing I learned we was I wanted the ability to go 25 kts (when needed), as well as economically 8kts (most often.). Crossing Biscayne Bay or heading over to Bimini/Bahamas in the 20s sure beats slugging along at 8.

You’ll know when you walk on a few to get a sense of what you will feel comfortable in
  12. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Do some chartering. Being on the water on different boats answers a LOT of questions.
  13. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

How many boaters are done thinking, looking, wondering and shopping for boats after their first boat?

All of the advice regarding process and desired use and writing it all down is wonderful and well worth listening to. Heck have spreadsheets that categorizes priorities with all boats in the running.

My point is, your requirements may and do change after your first boat. I, for one, am Okay with this. It is not the least expensive way to go but plans change, tastes change (especially when one becomes more experienced).

I think being on the water is more fun that thinking about being on the water.

In other words, don't wait for the perfect first and only boat. Get a boat and have fun and learn and then get another boat.

I don't drink alcohol but I can imagine a new wine drinker changing as they gain experience and learn what their tastes are. And I imagine those tastes will change over time. Did they wait to drink until they found The Wine?
  14. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Even when I do a custom build, there are always tweaks and changes the customer asks for. Sometimes we can do them, other times the architect slams the idea into the trash bin. Basically, you want something you can enjoy for 4-6 mos of the year, a focsle bunk and and a aft cabin with two heads, under 45ft, able to fit into a standard slip, 3o amps, a dependable non turbo engine.
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I think that's why he called it his "first" boat?
  16. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

After you've gone through the wish list, ask yourself if you want a "cocktail boat" or a "sea boat". If you want a "sea" boat, read JWY's review of an Elling E4. Then buy one!! Seaworthy to the max, and easily handled by one. Will sleep 6.

No, I'm not an agent. Just one hell of a satisfied owner. I saw mine at the Palm Beach Boat show in January of 2016. My words as I walked away, "Biggest GDamn 50 footer inside!!"

I'm not saying there aren't better ones, but given that "all boats are compromises", this one's a 10!!
  17. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I'm just hoping he gets a boat. Which is why I said:

In other words, don't wait for the perfect first and only boat. Get a boat and have fun and learn and then get another boat.

I think the boating economy can use the business. Get an express cruiser then get a trawler then get a motor yacht:) Not necessarily in that order.
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Indeed, get on the water! I'm 70 years old with a lovely 50 'Post and still looking to move up....
  19. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

That’s what I’m talking about! Good on ya!