Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for JetForums

Access to aft bilge pump 450 Voyager

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Jnicholas, Jan 7, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

Well it appears that my young granddaughter turned on the aft bilge pump at the Long Beach Christmas parade while playing at the helm. Unfortunately I did not hear it when leaving the boat. Five days later when I returned I could hear the low hum and found the switch on. The bilge was dry at the start so it ran the entire time without water.

Breakers are on but when I flooded the bilge area under the generator, no hum could be heard. When the manual switch turned on it hums but no pumping.

so it appears the 22 year old pump and float are shot. So finally the question…

I cannot reach the well area under the generator where the pump is installed. I don’t think anyone can. Can I cut in an access where the weep hole is to give some access to the pump, electrical and plumbing? What recommendations are out there? Thanks for ideas.
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Hard to help with out pictures.
    Perhaps there is a hatch above it under the carpet? Or is the Generator right above it?

All bilge pumps need annual testing and cleaning, especially your #1 pump.
    If you can’t get to it rather easily, I would install a new one you can get to, close to that one . Use the same hose and wiring.
    As long as it’s good . Cut it all where you can , and tie it back in.
    Not sure how big the well is , but a few gallons either way won’t matter much ,especially when you really need the pump to work!
    Let the old one stay there , for old times sake …
  3. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

Yes a picture would’ve been nice. I’ll try and get on Sunday. Yes it is located under the generator in a well. There is no way to service it from behind the generator. I want to cut access port in bulkhead where the scupper is. I don’t think it would weaken the structure too much. I know, picture is better.
  4. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

7729C025-E3BB-40F3-91E4-926E14CE0458.jpeg Well I found something. This area now has one additional through hull for bait tank. The bulk head I want to cut shows the scupper on the bottom and battery switch that I would need to relocate. No picture yet on access behind generator
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I wouldn't cut a thing. Don't think it's a good idea. Find another way to get to it. You may have to move the generator a little bit to get to it. They are not to hard to slide around.
    Or just add the new pump at a new location.