Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Cross

Absolute Yachts Feedback

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CSWO, Nov 29, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSWO

CSWO New Member

In my search for our next boat with enough headroom for someone who is 6’ 6”, I’ve recently had a chance to walk through an Absolute Navetta 68. It has more than enough interior space and the headroom works for me, but I’d like to get any insight you have on running these boats or with the service and support from Absolute and/or their dealers (OneWater in my area). I know there are many brand preferences on this forum, so if you want to compare it to other boats in the size range, I’m also considering Princess and Sunseeker Manhattan.
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

At 6'6" you will be hard pressed to find a 50-70 footer with that headroom and a few more inches of clearance. I will say that I think Sunseeker has stepped up their game and builds a better yacht than they did 10 years ago. I review yachts for magazines and you can look at my story on the Sunseeker Manhattan 55 (https://lakelandboating.com/sunseeker-manhattan-55-2/). I was really impressed with this model. And I was on the Sunseeker Ocean 182 a few weeks ago in 5+ footers and it handles extremely well for the conditions. Good luck!
    wiredup likes this.
  3. Sarnico

Sarnico New Member

Hi CSWO,

am also in the process of buying a Navetta (current 64 or a 2021 68) and have spent some time on a 58. Brilliant boats for holidays with the family. Have no experiance with IPS but this ist what is criticized most, at least here in Europe. Seakeeper apparently a must as they do roll a bit (might be better on the 60+ boats), so expect to run both gensets quite a lot. Quality is very good and what I like most is how well thought out everything is.

Looked at Ferretti, Princess and the Manhattans for comparison but for me none was a match, even if I probably prefer shafts over the IPS...

Think I will pull the trigger very soon so I am happy to keepy ou updated here if you are not quicker than me :)
    CSWO likes this.
  4. CSWO

CSWO New Member

I will be happy if I get a 78" minimum in the key areas. I would also prefer shafts, but I am open to IPS pods after talking with several people who have had them for years with good experiences. The two biggest negatives I hear on pods are the recommended annual maintenance (which everyone says NOT to skip) and if you hit bottom. Regarding Sunseeker, I learned today that insurance options on the Sunseeker are very limited, as many carriers will not even consider owner-operator policies on the larger boats due to past experiences.
  5. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Absolute have taken the World by storm, considering the yard was founded in 2003, although it did come from a previous since 1960 experience with Gobbi who is the main share holder.
    I did not inspect some of the newer models, but the older ones like the 41 from 2006 to 09 are of good quality price ratio. As I did with some of the 2010s 52 and 56.

Absolute will be one of the yards to go for IPS, using the propulsion from 2006 with the 56 triple engines and since about 2010/12 have all the models powered by IPS only.
    Also as far I was told and saw (I cannot see on all models) in an Absolute you can access each technical area a panel or to the most two.
    Absolute also uses ISS (integrated structural system).
    CSWO likes this.
  6. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I suspect that in spite of the whim of finding an English acronym for their construction technique, not many people outside Italy know what you are talking about - in fact, also here I met a few Abs owners who were also totally unaware of how their boat is built, and couldn't care less about it.
    As long as the boat can be maneuvered with the joystick, that's all they were interested in...! :rolleyes:

Having said that, I agree that overall quality of Absolute boats is comparable to the British builders.
    And possibly even better in terms of IPS optimization, though for me their full dedication to it is the only reason for NOT considering any Absolute.
    Liam likes this.
  7. Liam

Liam Senior Member

To be fair I first saw ISS (or a similar three letter acronym) in Tiara brochure from the early nighties, and as far I know they were the first to introduce it.
    Gobbi first used on the latest mid-end nineties Gobbi models, starting with the 365 SC which debuted in 1996.
  8. CSWO

CSWO New Member

Liam - I decided not to buy the Navetta 68. In the end, the interior was simply too "condo-like" for my wife, and I also didn't love the 5' 9" draft for Bahamas cruising. I did talk with a former dealer who sold a number of these boats, and their one concern is the boat does not track well in a following sea. I hope this helps.
  9. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I think many IPS boats with hull specifically designed for the propulsion, will not track well in following sea, also because the preferred hull for this propulsion is a rather flat Vee from mid-ships to aft.
    The exception to this rule is the triple power ones.

Good luck with the search, it is also part of the fun.
  10. CSWO

CSWO New Member

After many months of searching for the next boat, I've decided to purchase a Sirena 68. In the process, I evaluated in some detail a Princess S66, Princess F68/70, Sunseeker Manhattan 68, Absolute 68, Ferretti 670, CLB65, OE70, Grand Trawler 62, Grand Banks 60, Fleming 65 and Marlow 58. If anyone is interested in how I came to that conclusion, I would be happy to provide more details to you directly.
  11. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Sounds like you did lots of homework, lots of due diligence, glad you found a boat that suits your needs. Something fun to look forward to in 2024. Congratulations.
  12. ameriboat

ameriboat New Member

I would love your views on the Ferretti 670
  13. CSWO

CSWO New Member

My assessment of the Ferretti 670 was incomplete. There was only one available for me to try and get on in South Florida, but due to some complications with the listing, we were unsuccessful in scheduling a tour on two different occasions. When we did connect with the broker we learned that one of the motors needed a major rebuild within the first 50 hours - and the extended warranty on that rebuild was about to expire. So we decided to pass. It looked like a nice boat in pictures, but never got to review it in person.
  14. Rob Welling

Rob Welling New Member

Curious on your views of the Sirena 68 VS Absolute... what made you lean toward the Sirena? Also VS. the Princess.

Thanks!
  15. CSWO

CSWO New Member

The primary operating concern with the Absolute is that does not handle well (specifically it doesn’t track well due to the hull shape) in following seas. This was feedback from two different people who had run these boats. Those same people were otherwise complimentary of the build quality of the boats. My secondary concern was styling. The boat interior design is very nice, but too much of a “condo” feel and not enough of a boat. You can argue the Sirena is also more “condo like”, but it still felt like a boat to us. I’m also biased towards a shaft boat over pods, so that also made the Sirena a better option. Regarding Princess, we like the design and styling of several different models, but in the end we liked the combination of spaces on the Sirena better.
    gr8trn likes this.
  16. Rob Welling

Rob Welling New Member

Thanks so much - appreciate the feedback!