Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

A voyage in the Hospital...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Bamboo, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I brought the boat down the coast getting to "home" @ Sailfish Marina (where the "Sea Deuce" has been docked for nearly 17 years) last Wednesday. Thursday I visited my cardiologist because I've had something attacking my body since mid August. I had on and off joint pain and swelling, head and stomach aches, elevated heart rate, slight fever at times with low body temp other times, painful red "soft spots" on my hands and feet that came and left (now I know them to be Osler's nodes) and a general lack on hunger and energy. I saw a General doc twice (with a full physical included) and two different blood draws and a CAT scan on my head- all of which showed nothing and no reason why I was having these issues.

I went to a cardiologist- (I had MRSA in early '04 then by June '04 I needed open heart surgery to replace my mitral valve and repair another one) who has Marfan syndrome, which I also have. I had a echo which showed my heart to sound and look great, with the valve crisp and clear. I have a St Jude's device- artificial heart valve, meaning also that I'm on Coumadin blood thinners. A second visit confirmed I had something, and went to see a Rheumatologist and his blood/urine tests showed no real abnormalities. All of this was in NY- but my home and family (wife and three boys- 6, 7 and 14) are all in FL. My heart doc immediately sent me to a Infectious Disease doc who wanted me to have blood cultures drawn at the Hospital. That Friday I also visited the Cleveland Clinic in Weston, FL to a heart doc there (they installed my valve and it's one of the best hospitals in the USA). The ID doc calls me this last Wed and says I have to report to the Hospital ASAP.

By this time I'm scared, point blank. I'm not a worry-er, nor do I get ruffled in the times I need to retain a calm head and point of view. Long story short I have a Gram Negative bacterial infection. It's on my heart- which is endocarditis- specifically Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans prosthetic valve endocarditis. It's a rare superbug on par with MRSA. I've done some study and the ID doc gave me some studies- (here's the bad news) in these studies there was a 18% mortality rate and surgery rate was 23%. I may have to have all my teeth removed (what the h*ll do you say when you hear that? lol). The good news is that nearly 80% were "cured" on antibiotics alone, but that treatment means IV therapy for up to (and mostly likely) 6 weeks, most of which will be in the "brig". The good news is that I feel fine and do not feel like I should be here at all. I have minor head aches is the extent of my current symptoms.

Nearly all other patients have some type of sign outside their room relating to diet or medical needs, but I had nothing. I like to bring a bit of sunshine everywhere, and for some odd reason I'm a happier person in the brig than outside. Perhaps it's the need to maintain a positive attitude. Since I had no sign I had one made up- "Pink Champagne on ice". Some get it, some do not. I tell them "I can check out any time I like". One RN even responded that "I could not leave" however, and still did not get it. I was and still am laughing over that one.

I have the support of my friends and neighbors, the other captains at "work" (Sailfish), my owner and everyone at his companies, and of course my close and extended family. I feel YF is part of my extended family and wanted to share what I am going through here. I have a great wireless signal in my room, the staff here is great, surprisingly the food is good, and while I may have to be here for up to mid Dec I'm in good spirits. I'm at Palm Beach Gardens MC room 357. I stole a wheel chair yesterday from another wing and Nurse "Ratchet" stopped and questioned me (I thought for sure I was busted) but she asked the wrong questions and I was released with no violations. It's my small victories that keep me up.

If you have time put in a request with the whoever you think is upstairs to look over me, please. While I am strong, I do need the all the support I can get.

William "Bamboo" McCue
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

May lose all your teath? Have you mentioned that to your wife?:D :cool: ;) See, there's good sides to eveything. Get well soon.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Good spirits are important

I have been spending my own fair share of time in the hospital(s) over the past couple of months. Last month we learned that my wife has breast cancer and she is being treated at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.
    It sounds like you've got enough experience to know these things, but here are a couple of bits of wisdom I've picked up:
    ~Always have someone else with you when you're visiting with the docs. An extra ear will help to retain and interpret what they're telling you.
    ~Your friends and family will certainly offer you plenty of help and support; don't be too proud to take it. Don't feel like you have to pay them back- that will come in time. Allow them to assist you and that will help them to cope as well.
    ~Stay away from the Internet!!! Self diagnosis or reading more about your condition will only serve to scare the hell out of you.
    ~Laugh
    ~Laugh
    ~Laugh

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am sorry t read that you are not doing too well this week.

If I can be nosy can you say how old you are?

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  5. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Hi William,

Sorry to hear your bad news.

You will be very much in my prayers over the coming weeks.

Do keep us updated and keep your spirits up.

With all good wishes,

David.
  6. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I'll be 44 at the end of the month. While I'm feeling quite good, I know that does not mean all's well. I'm still worried about the teeth decision. I am doing research on what I have, and I've posted the worst I think- I'd much rather have the bad news up front and in detail. Does not mean it all applies in my case, but I'd rather be prepared for the worst than be blindsided. I'm confident the IV therapy is all I'll need, and am hoping I might be able to go home in perhaps a week. My new IV is once daily, and that bolsters my chances of getting out of here. I put a very nice reclining lounge chair outside my room and a sign above it- "FREE ADVICE" ... on the bottom in smaller letters it says "worth every penny". I don't want to spend too much time in my room so I sit there often and get a laugh once in awhile.
  7. travler

travler Senior Member

i hope you recover soon being in the hospital is not much fun been through a couple of bad heart infections my self had a pick line in my right arm for 60 day's once and 95 days the other time , i now have a diffrent view of life and enjoy each day & the people around me as much as possable

wish you the best travler
  8. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I'll be here in the hospital until Wed/Thurs perhaps, which is the time left taking the stronger of the two antibiotics. The other antibiotic will be home therapy- once daily. The bacteria attacked my heart- specifically the area around my artificial valve. It appears to have done no damage, but that is the weak spot of anyone with a artificial heart valve. Obviously we had to be careful, because if it did do damage the fix was open heart surgery to repair or replace the valve. Looks like I'm out of the woods at this point- and there is no way to express how grateful, humbled and lucky I am for all the support, prayers and love I've received.
    William "Bamboo" McCue
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good news. Thanks for sharing.:)
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Good News there Bamboo.
  11. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Hi William,

Excellent news!

But my prayers will continue.

With all good wishes,

David.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm glad to hear that things are looking up for you. I hope that the antibiotics will knock it out. Do the doctors have any idea how you got the bacteria?
  13. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

BambooMan:

Sorry to hear of your medical troubles. Your attitude is very good in light of what you're going through. Keep it up.
    Listen: after 20+ years of not going to the dentist, I had to go as a result of a chipped tooth. Long story real short, they ended up--apart from the crown which I am yet to receive--doing laser surgery on all my gums. I was told that there is a relationship between the state of health of one's teeth & gums and.....one's heart.
    Treatment included two antibiotics--Doxycycline and Amoxicillin the fine print of which includes the side affects of blurry vision and, how to put this delicately, the trots. On the plus side, I lost sixteen pounds in less than a month. Huzzah!

I'm sure you have great Docs...and I'd be happy to recommend a great dentist in Pompano Beach.

Get better.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Note to all: dental problems don't go away. Did the same thing. Finally went and was told 'we won't talk cavities. I have to work on 13 teeth'. Every 6 months ever since like my life depended on it.:D Stay healthy Bamboo.
  15. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Learned from an early age to diligently tend to my teeth - going for a checkup every six months is less pain and cost in the long run.

Besides heart issues, tooth infections can go right up into the brain where a bacterial bloom can mimic a brain tumor, and the lasting results can be devastating to such life-enhancing brain functions as vision, hearing, memory, cognitive ability, and so forth.

This is the first I've heard of an artificial valve/cardiac infection affecting the teeth, though. Please tell us more about this?
  16. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I'm profoundly relieved that it appears all I'll need to do is complete my IV treatment according to my doctors. I thought for sure I was going to have another open heart surgery, and that scared the hell out of me. I had no desire to put myself or my wife and kids through that again. My boys are 6, 7 and 14- and they need me to be there as they grow up, and my wife needs me around too (at least I think she does- :eek: ). I'll be 44 on Sat and hope that I'm home to eat cake! I don't want to say anything more as this may become a legal matter.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Bamboo, since you thankfully seem to be doing good I'm going to hijack this thread with your permission. I just got a call from my podiatrist to let me know that the MRI confirms that I have 2 broken bones in my foot. I had an accident at the start of a run south last month when I slipped on the swim platform. Evidently I racked up my leg to such a degree that I didn't realize my foot was broken for over 2 weeks. The medical bills are starting to grow and I was curious about who would be liable. Assume that I have zero love for this owner.
  18. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Permission granted- lol. I think you'll be liable until the courts or the owner says otherwise.
  19. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Are you an employee of the owner, or are you a contractor? That'll be a worker's comp issue since you were doing work at the time (running a boat south) so if you pay your own worker's comp, then that would be your avenue to pursue. If you are an employee of the owner, then his mandatory WC insurance will cover you.

If you don't have your own WC insurance, then your health insurance will be where you turn.

If you don't have health insurance, then your own pocket is where you turn.

Unless the owner's negligence in maintenance or improper work installing the platform or some other issue caused the fall, you're going to have a very difficult time proving it wasn't your own fault for stepping onto a wet platform (which, it will be argued, is part of your contracted service to maintain, and thus it was your own negligence that caused your injury).
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thank you Bamboo. Seemed like an approppriate direction. Seafarer, My first thought is where you went. We are independent contractors. However, if you hire someone (handyman or such) to work on your house and they don't have worker's comp....