Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Perko

A different Fair Ground Activity

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, Nov 16, 2009.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Word on the street is you get better distance with live bunnies.

Besides, what's the big deal? In this country we used to toss live dwarfs until some politician discovered the little guys liked it.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I dunno what your on about.

I have a newspaper from home that I was reading on the flight back here that has a Pile of Possums feature after a weekend of seeing who could roundup and deliver the most.

Not sure how it will read scanned but you will get the message.

Attached Files:

5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Until they start throwing them from the transom for skeet shooting we might want to give this non-yachting thread a short lifespan. I have a real bad feeling about where it's going to head next.:rolleyes:
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

My Skeet and Trap skills are pretty good with my trusty Wingmaster, I got a lot of practice chasing erratically moving things with it's predecessor as a youth.

This is also why a lot of them get knocked over.

http://www.farminglifestyles.co.nz/Articles.cfm?NewsID=1661
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Ah, the Possum Purge followed by a "sausage sizzle." Now that sounds like a weekend to remember and should be on every yacht's charter itinerary.

You will notice the respectful manner with which the gentleman is adding the posthumous possum to the pile of previously pursued prey. This is in stark contrast to the disrespectful disposition of the lifeless lagomorphs that started this Kiwiian controversy.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Still think hunting hunters is a lot more sporting. Understand a guy got 5 or 6 a winter or 2 ago. DK what the bag limit is though. Even ex-VP Cheney is into the sport.:D
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The Head Chef, Dirty Dave, on M/Y Midnight Saga used to make a great 'Bambi & Thumper' pie but I fail to see possum making it onto any charter menu soon.

Fish
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Just in case your vision widens ...

Possum and Taters

Ingredients:
    1 young, fat possum
    8 sweet potatoes
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon sugar
    salt

Directions: First, catch a possum. This in itself is excellent entertainment on a moonlight night. Skin the possum and remove the head and feet. Be sure to wash it thoroughly. Freeze overnight either outside or in a refrigerator. When ready to cook, peel the potatoes and boil them tender in lightly salted water along with the butter and sugar. At the same time, stew the possum tender in a tightly covered pan with a little water. Arrange the taters around the possum, strip with bacon, sprinkle with thyme or marjoram, or pepper, and brown in the oven. Baste often with the drippings.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Think I first read that recipe in the Jeffrey Dahmler cook book, but he used a sweeter meat. (Told you I was afraid where this thread would go:D )
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Is this from the 'Night-Train Rural Cookbook'? :D
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Laugh as you may young Possum is actually quite tasty when eaten from the grill with a fresh green salad and a nice Marlborough Pinot Noir.

I used to have a dog that was pretty good at finding Possums on the ground during the day. It saved the effort and risk of staggering around the bush after a few Pinots yourself when the sun has gone down.
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Silly Kiwi, you don't have to go through all that. You can get all the freshly whacked 'possum you want by driving along the back roads at sunrise. They are just lying there for the taking. Some of 'em are already tenderized.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Mmmmm. Road kill stew. Good stuff. I once met a woman who ran a wolf refuge and she'd always look for good RK for the wolves and cats when driving. Got to a point where her daughter wouldn't get in the car with her.
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Bullets or Benzes, does it really matter how they make the "longest crossing?"
  17. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Please excuse my ignorance of American wildlife – but aren’t Possums and Marmots from the same family? :eek:
  18. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Greetings,
    Revdcs, possums or oppossums, if you prefer, are marsupials (they rear their newborns in a pouch like kangaroos) and omnivores (eat anything).
    Marnots are rodents and vegitarians (like squirrels or beavers).
    While both are mammals, they are not related in any way other than that.
    I've seen marmots and while cute, DON'T pick one up! They'll bite your arm off...hahahaha
    Peter
  19. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Good morning OM, how's life in the soon to be solid before turning tropical north? It is finally becoming bearable down here.

The screen name comes from the French colloquialism for "brat" and is also the name of a boat. I sometimes identify with the name, but have never bitten anyone's arm off ... may chew off the occasional head but always spit it out fairly quickly.