Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

a/c issues on 2006 hatteras 50' convertible

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by mark 10, Oct 21, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mark 10

mark 10 New Member

Has anyone else had issues with hi pressure when running at cruise ? Had all hoses changed ,strainer cleaned ,hauled and cleaned , actually wasn't even dirty but wanted to check had ac guy come change pump go over system, we even upgraded to a more powerful pump flow out is fine ,still at cruise shows hi pressure
    Paul at hatteras told me that some people have put small scoops over intake to improve intake while running ,ques 1 Is it really possible that hatteras made a design flaw this annoying , ques 2 is anyone else had this problem on the forum and can advise me how to fix ?
    I really hate to modify the bottom of my boat and hate the thought of ruining my hydrodynamics....
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Has it always done that or did it start suddenly?

Does it happen only under certain trim conditions (bow higher)

Does it only happen after the air con pump cycles off and tries to restart

Water pick ups can be a little tricky On air cons I would definitely put a scoop type pick up, the easiest way would be to add an external South Bay strainer which is shaped a wedge with a SS mesh. That pretty much replaces your strainers and drag is minimal. You don't have o replace the thru hull, they are just acrewed from the outside which can be done with a short haul

I be had them installed on a 70 footer I used to run for the four refrigeration pumps plus the Watermaker and they worked great.

Recently I tried to start the second generator while underway at 23kts on the Lazzara 84 I now run and the raw water pump would not reprime even though in this case the pick ups for the generators are within 10' of the transom. After we slowed down, it pumped just fine. Go figure.

And that's obviously a self priming impeller pump... Not an non self priming air con
  3. mark 10

mark 10 New Member

When I first ran boat home from fla 1 1/2 years ago , i had just bought it ,to be honest I think it worked fine , but we where so excited me especially at just having bought the boat id wanted since I was a kid , a Hatteras has been my dream, but i can't honestly say
    It has been an ongoing issue since we got her back to new york, this has truly been the only real issue that i didn't cause myself.So you think a mesh wedge like you say resolves this ? No speed loss Or other issues?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

As I said the drag is really minimal and with 4 of them I never noticed a difference. The only thing to check is that there is nothing down stream that would be affected by a little turbulence whether a transducer or another water pick up
  5. mark 10

mark 10 New Member

yea Im looking at them right now , might do the trick, thanks ... saw you posted on another site same remedy for sucking in plastic bags , gonna make it a spring project thanks
    what year is your boat ? thats the style i originally saw the older version though 58 ' my
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our Old Bertram has grated scoops. It does help while running.
    You have to remember how an A/C pumps works, It needs water to run, any air screws it up.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes works good on a/c, DO NOT put a clamshell intake on the generator because if you ever run the boat without the generator running it will tend to flood the generator with saltwater.
  8. bluesuit

bluesuit Member

I had that problem my a 54 Bertram. We changed everything but the pump and the pump kept losing its prime when a cruise giving me a high press fault code on the SMX displays. We cleaned the scoop, rebuilt seawater strainers, we shortened hoses, dropped the height of the pump. Still did it. Finally changed the pump and it stopped. Come to find out the seal was bad on the pump causing loss of prime. Good luck!
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Cruiseair p700B sea water pump had a lot of seal issues from what I hear. I think that's the model of the one with the bad seals.
  10. mark 10

mark 10 New Member

yes ,and i removed it and upgraded to a bigger pump
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Perhaps the thru-hull is not big enough for the larger pump?
  12. mark 10

mark 10 New Member

defiantly not the case , had the issue 1st , the pump used was advised by hatteras and professionally installed , Im thinking that it has to be when she runs she doesn't allow enough water thru intake, gonna try the strainer suggested earlier in the thread , spring time project , got a few others too new radios , and maybe a new flybridge enclosure , did electronics upgrade last year with all new configuration on helm , happy with everything that was done , put in all garmin stuff ,thinking of join with garmin radios next year, the ICOM604s where damaged by a close call lightening strike.... any thought on that ? IM not sure I ever understood all the features of my icoms, was never able to communicate from remote mic to bridge or vice versa, not sure i understand ais other than helps identify my boat ... love some basic lessons on that .
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Professionally installed means nothing. If had to re install two $90 an hour professionally installed pumps in the last 10 years.... And too many "pros", the number one consideration is cost and mark up. Yeah, I'm a cynic.

I m not a fan of these cruisair pumps as if i m not mistaken they use bronze impellers who can erode pretty quickly greatly reducing flow and capacity. I ve seen this happen in as little as a year or two. I Prefer March pumps with magnetic drive (no seals) and while the impeller can break, jsut keep a spare on boadprd and you can replace it minutes by just popping the cover. dont even have to pull the hoses.

As electronics, many new owners get talked in to spend in fortunes on new electronics, usually for no real reason. Most of th fancy bells and whistles while "cool" are just that. Cool. :)

Icom is pretty much the gold standard in radio communications, just like furuno is the gold standard in radar, but if you feel more comfortable with the friendly garmin interface it will work jsut fine too.

AIS transmits your position and data (incl. boat name, size, soeed and heading) other vessels nearby so they can ID you. It's nice especially if running in busy areas or dense fog. Make sure y update th data that s transmitted incl any name change and that the info is accurate. Don't ASSume it is... :)
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Garmin radios work good. I have them on one yacht, the only issue I have with them and it's a minor one is that the plastic knobs are thin for the volume and squelch and break and you have to order new ones.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The worst I ve used was a set of Raymarine VHF on a Marquis... Took me a while to figure them out, especially how to turn them on. I forgot the model but it a
    Was ridiculous
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Everything Raymarine is that way. It's also the only brand of electronics that I've had to send a bunch of back to the factory all different models and types....autopilots, chartplotters, vhf's etc.
  17. g collis

g collis Member

If your still experiencing this problem, this may be your solution. I have a 55'SF, 1980. Same issue with the AC when running. Here is what's wrong. Hatt placed the a/c thru hull to far forward and the moment it gets a gulp of air or you bring her up on plane, your pump loses it's prime. Two solutions. One, on your next haul out install a thru hull next to or behind the engine raw water thru hull on that side. Or two, install a tee fitting on the intake side of your pump and plumb it over to a gate valve over by your fresh water hose spicket. This solution does not give you AC when under way and planning. But it makes it very easy to prime the pump. Only way to solve it permanently though is to either install another thru hull farther back, utilize one not being used or a self priming pump would also help. Hope this helps if you haven't already solved your problem.
  18. mark 10

mark 10 New Member

ok I know this is old thread , the problem was when boat was sold originally I'm told the a/c pump was attached to a thru hull designed for a different system it was to far forward and too small aside from the fact the unreacable part was clogged with growth the solution was to mount a larger thru hull and strainer and to make sure we added a small clam shell .... lost no speed and we now stay cool as can be while running