Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Westport

'97 405 Water in bilge.

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by jimdad, Jul 20, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jimdad

jimdad New Member

I have continual water in the bilge when I operate the salon A.C. system. By matter of elimination, I know it happens only when this a.c. is on, so I need to get access to the leak site. I can see the unit when I open the access panel behind the couch, but can only see about half the unit where I can see the condensate drain, and know it is draining. I need access to the other end (fore) of the unit. Water is running down an area between two bulkheads under the salon island that hold the breaker panel. Does anyone know how to access that area? I have torn the boat half apart, but find no access to that area?? Help, please.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. g36

g36 Member

i also have a 97 405
    my salon unit condensate drains directly from the pan down a hose to a thru hull installed below the unit in the engine room in front of the gas tank on that port side.i cant remember if i see it in the engine room or have to remove the outward long access panel in the dinette but one of the areas you can see it where it goes outside the boat. the unit is high enough that a gravity drain on this one so no pump needed to get rid of the condensate. have you checked the drain pan and fittings that may be allowing the water to escape the pan before exiting the hose? my ac unit is built up on a small box that raises it up from the salon floor in that area behind the couch its just screwed down so you might have to unscrew it gain some access if needed. yours shouldnt be that much different but you never know i guess.

the fwd ac unit drains into the same sump box the galley sink and fwd head sink drains into. i have had to watch that one on occasion
  3. g36

g36 Member

sorry forgot to add i access this salon ac area with the panel that unscrews behind the couch and also through the air return cut out both provide plenty of area to work, thats all the access there is on mine no other panels etc to move or unscrew
  4. jimdad

jimdad New Member

Are you saying to remove the return air grill cover, for access to the unit itself?
    I need to see down under the unit to determine where the water is originating?
    Thanks for all your help.
  5. g36

g36 Member

my ac unit is directly mounted behind the couch on the outside wall there is a wooden access panel that has one screw that i can remove to get at it.this would also be where you would install or remove the ac unit itself . my air return grill 14x16 or so is cut into the side of the bar/island thats by the couch. thats got 4 screws and then you can take that out you then have a big hole to work through there if needed. how much water are we talking about? i wondered are you speaking of an active leak such as in the water hoses that carry water in out of the coil or just condensate? it might be easiest if you can't tell is to disconnect the air supply hose from the top of the unit and pull it out some so you can run it and see around it better. my unit had 4 brackets screwed down that looped over the side of the drain pan take those out and you can slide the ac around. make sense?
  6. jimdad

jimdad New Member

Hey, thanks for all the good info.! I am now running the forward and aft units, and have no water in the bilge. When I turn on the salon unit, I will begin to have a constant slow run of water. it will fill the forward bilge in a couple of days, to the point that the bilge pump comes on (thankfully!).
    It seems to pond somewhere and continue to run into the bilge for a day or two after I shut the unit off. Each day it will amount to about 2" of water??
    My return air grill is on the opposite side of the island, on the side of the dinette. Is that what I have to remove to get at the for side of the unit? I am about to tackle this in the morning. Still haven't received my inspection camera. I do appreciate you staying on this with me.
    Do I seem to be making sense to you on this issue?
  7. g36

g36 Member

theres really no other access other than what i've mentioned earlier to the area so you can try removing the return grill and see if that will help you to see the unit but if it doesnt theres nothing really left but to unscrew the unit and swivel it some so you can see all sides. do you know if the hose and fitting on the drain pan is tight and not leaking? and have you found the other end? thru hull etc? once you gain access it should be an easy thing to fix dont be afraid to move the unit around so you can see just be mindful of the water tubing,ac duct, electric wires etc. also while your at it check the foam filter that is covering the coil i bet its really dirty if its never been cleaned you'll really be suprised . good luck
    glad thers another 405 owner here
  8. jimdad

jimdad New Member

Hi, G36

I have the return grill off the unit, and do have a good access to the other end of the unit. The unit has been off for a couple of days, and there is no sign of dampness in that access area. It has been wet at some point, but not obviously, recently. I am still waiting on the **** camera to arrive, but I do plan to pour some water into the drip pan tomorrow to see if that causes water to show up in the bilge. I did that once from the other side, and it all seemed to run out the drain hose and overboard. Now will see what happens from this side. My handy-man will be back tomorrow to help me move the couch, so I can access both ends of the unit. I'll keep you posted on the next chapter.
    Currently, I am having the ice maker and bridge stereo replaced!
    Also need to replace the white vinyl-covered lines around the handrails. Have you any experience with this? They look awful, yellowed, etc. I shaved the vinyl off one short piece to see if I could just do that all round and have bare stainless cable.........no luck, there; rust on most of the cable. I only need 2 long ones (about 20') and six short ones for the openings (about 30").
    My boat is generally in great shape; it has only 270 hrs. on the Crusader 454's. Was mostly used as a live-aboard by former original owner. I have new carpet ordered as we speak. now looking for replacement blinds.
    Can you tell me a little about your boat?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If your boat has only 1 air conditioning pump. Seawater would be running through the salon unit anytime any of the other units are calling for seawater . So the salon unit would leak, even if it was off, if the other air conditioners were running if it was a leak in the seawater lines.

I tend to think that your drain pan has a hole in it, or your drain line, or it's going into a sump where the sump pump is bad or not pumping out and the water you're seeing is condensate water. I had the drain line clog on an a/c unit and it overflowed quite a bit of water from/over the drain pan.....probably at least 5 gallons per day if not 10........I would run the unit for half a day and stick your finger in or look in the drain pan and see if water is accumulating there and not draining.
  10. g36

g36 Member

sounds like you've gained some room to work. pouring the water in the pan should help find the problem. has to be with that one ac unit if its not leaking any other time
    i want to change those white vinyl covered cables also just havent checked in to it yet.
    my boat has the darker cherry interior, i am 2nd owner and i had 189 hrs on my boat when i purchased it sounds alot like yours which wasnt out much either. i guess it was used as a lake condo on the summer weekends . concerned me some but it passed all my survey and all prepurchase checks etc. we then readied it for a 486 mile trip home it performed perfectly no issues at all which was awesome. great vacation i also have the crusader engines.
    as far as blinds we just changed them we considered other options and theres lots out there but we liked the look so went back with them, however i installed the old school blinds with the pull cord instead of the cordless design of the originals. found a few online blind sellers and had them ship me samples and picked the closest which ended up being ivory 1". the different online shops will then end up placing your order from the manufacturer anyway so shop the best price.
    we looked at several of this model boat before buying this particular one. where i live we are on the tennessee river, which water levels change (really sometimes with apparently no reason) and the bridge we have to go under can be a problem i was so lucky that the original owner had ordered this boat from carver with a hinged arch i have not seen any other 405/406's with one, i had thought i would need to do this anyway but found this boat, kind of like it was meant to be my wife said. we dont have to do it very often only 1 time so far this year but its nice when needed. i've been through my boat throughly with projects here and there so if i can help answer anything let me know
  11. jimdad

jimdad New Member

Drain pan

Thanks Cap'n. J, I agree it must be a leak in the drain pan; however, I poured a pitcher of water in it last week, and it ran out just fine??

G36, how ironic, our boat has the dark cherry interior, and had only 162 hrs. on when we bought it two years ago. (Our previous 40' Silverton sank in a blizzard when the marina collapsed on it!). We love the boat, but have found it to be a little too big for the wife and I to comfortably operate it. So have it for sale to downsize a little.
    I'm heading to the boat here in a while to pour some water in the drain pan again to see what I can see.
  12. jimdad

jimdad New Member

water in bilge

I have now pretty much eliminated condensate water.
    We took her out for a 4 hr. run last weekend. Left the dock with dry bilge and no a.c. running. Got back with forward bilge full of water to the point bilge pump comes on. Rechecked possibilities, and found a leaking packing gland on prop shaft. Borrowed huge wrenches and got that fixed! (**** near impossible to get to in the tiny hatch opening). Also, we have been having very heavy continual rains, and I found the galley trash can half full of water, so I am suspicious of rain water leaking in somewhere. Have had a dry bilge for two days now, plan to take it for another run this weekend to see if we get any water leaks. Also putting it into a covered slip to avoid rain water problem.