Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

83 330 Mariner - port tranny issues

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by sremenap, May 24, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sremenap

sremenap New Member

Hello all!

This is my first post on these forums. I am having a problem with my port transmission.

When I fill the transmission with fluid and start the motor, tranny fluid literally pours from under the motor. It is not coming from the cooler lines or the bell housing where it connects to the motor. It seems to be mid motor, and it drains the tranny of fluid essentially immediately.

I cannot find a good diagram of what route the transmission fluid takes through the motor, and was hoping that one of you had some familiarity with this and can tell me your best guess.

This transmission was put on this motor just three years ago, but the horrible service center that did it makes me suspect everything.

I appreciate any help I can get as I am literally a floating condo at this point.

Thank you in advance!

Scuba Steve
  2. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Do you know what gear you have or possibly post a picture?
  3. sremenap

sremenap New Member

I have a mercruiser motor with a 72c and a velvet drive

Is that what your asking?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

5. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

About The only place a Velvet drive can lose that much fluid is on the right hand side at the bottom where the fluid returns from the cooler. There's usually a 90 degree fitting that comes out of the gear that may not have gotten tightened or the fitting is cracked.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pours out while running. Not a oil cooler connect...

Front seal..
  7. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

You're going to have to wipe it clean and feel around under the bell housing and gear. The last poster is probably correct if the lines are dry. I've never seen a front seal leak that much but there's only 2 places that the fluid can come from in that amount and area that you're describing. I have seen guys crack that fitting on the bottom from tightening the line without holding a back up on the fitting. They used to use an inverted flare fitting that was fairly easy to break or cross thread. There's not much room to work that deep in the bilge and with the motor mounts in the way.
  8. sremenap

sremenap New Member

Dsharp and Rcrapps. I have been through the coolant lines and that 90 degree fitting and its definitely not those. If you are right which I am pretty sure you are and its a front seal, that is something I have to pull the tranny to replace. Do you know if that can be successfully done in the water??
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Borg 72 has to come back from the bellhousing around 5 inches.
    1 Can you split the coupler and slide your shaft back around 5 to 6 inches?
    2 Can you support the back of the engine (blocks, jack or overhead tackle) to remove the clutch?
    3 Can you bend over,,, and pick up 100 lbs of dead weight?
    4 Do yo know how to swing a wrench and have tough knuckles (or , are you a bleeder?).

The seal is easy. getting the junk out of the way, supporting the ass of that motor and breaking everything loose is the hard part. You're probably going to disconnect a part of the exhaust system. Plan on a fender, softball, or something reliable to plug the pipes at both ends. (THIS IS WHERE DIYrs SINK THEIR BOAT).

Yes, it can be done in the water if needed. "WITH CARE & CAUTION" is an understatement.
  10. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Get 4 7/16" x 4 coarse thread bolts. Use 2 of them - one in each of the motor mount holes in the gear to make handles to pull the gear out and to help put it in. Cut the heads off two of them and cut a slot with a hacksaw. Put them in the top bolt holes of the bell housing to slide the gear on. Back them out with a screw driver. I think those gears are over 100 pounds. If your mounts still move you can jack the engine up and put blocks under the bell housing. Unbolt the coupling first. Check the shaft for wear at the seal area. They make stainless sleeves to cover the shaft wear.
  11. sremenap

sremenap New Member

Guys thank you tons for the help. I brought in a pro for this one, ill keep u posted on the outcome...