Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

70' Hatteras on our list to consider...can the 2 of us handle her?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by AquariusMate, Aug 31, 2019.

1. AquariusMate

AquariusMate New Member

First post, but been lurking for a while. Hello!

We have recently sold our 43' sailboat and are buying a motor yacht. My husband wants to look at a 70' Hatteras. Can the two of us handle a boat that size? We will hire a qualified captain for training as we know this will handle very differently than our sailboat. It has bow thrusters. We are healthy, able-bodied adventurers in our mid 50's. We are coastal cruisers, but have been down the California Baja and into the Sea of Cortez, so a bigger trip is not out of the question. It's not a question of learning all the systems, engines, etc., but of 2 people being capable of docking, mooring, that kind of thing.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and considerations.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Can=Is it possible? Then the answer is "yes".

However, "can you enjoy" like that or "do you want to?" Question is what you want to do yourselves, how much of the engine maintenance, how much of the boat maintenance. You're talking about washing down a boat that has about 5 times as much deck space and surface as you're use to. You say it's not a question of learning the systems, engines, etc., why isn't it?

I think you should be able to handle docking and mooring after a few months of training.

I've got to toss out one other consideration. You're in your mid 50's and healthy and able bodied adventurers. You're also at the age that minor health issues start to develop, things like a knee or back, or other things. How long do you intend to own this boat?

So, yes, you can handle it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't think very carefully about whether it's the best choice for you.
  3. AquariusMate

AquariusMate New Member

Thank you for the response. I certainly understand the health point you make. We hope that this will be the last boat we need to hunt for, so intend to keep it for a good long time.
    As to learning the systems, engines...my husband will do. He is as mechanical as they come and completely maintained everything on the sailboat for 15 years. He has the education and the hands-on prowess, that's all I mean. Lord knows, there's a lot more of everything on a power yacht, but I'm in good hands with him.

That said, it seems like more boat than we need (to me). I'm feeling a 58' or 60' is more reasonable. How much difference does that 10' make in the handling?
  4. olderboater

First, let's talk about "completely maintaining." If he and you completely maintain the boat and everything on it, you will be more crew than boaters and owners. You've got so much more to maintain. Four engines in two engines plus two generators. Probably a watermaker. Just having more heads can lead to more work. When you arrive at a new location, to wash down and chamois won't be a short quick process. Waxing will be very time consuming. It's not just having the education and prowess, it's the time and effort.

As to handling, there's not a lot of difference in 60' and 70'. There is the cost of dockage and in some areas the availability. But I can't say handling a 70' is different than a 60'. Now, I don't know what year or model 70' you're looking at but the more recent 70' is now called a 75' because it's LOA was always 75' with the swim platform and bow pulpit.

How many people do you intend to have aboard with you? What waters do you intend to cross that you're not sure a 60' could handle? People and seas are the only reasons I see to go from 60 to 70'.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There is no difference in handling a 50, 60, 70 or 80 footer. If anything the larger boat is easier to handle as it won’t get blown around by wind

If anything I find the 84 Lazzara i captain easier to handle than my personal 53 Hatteras MY. Heavier and the larger props/extra torque cause the boat to react faster when maneuvering

As to maintenance whether it s a 53 or an 84, they have 2 engines, 2 helms, 2 battery chargers, 2 helms, 2 shafts and props and rudders, 1 or 2 generators, 1 shore power cable etc. everything is little bigger like a 100amp cable instead of 50 but it doesn’t make much of a difference except cost. 2 generators on the larger boats is great for redundancy

At the dock it will be the same number of lines, again just a little bigger.

If anything the bigger boat has more room to work on systems so it s actually a little easier

Most owner/ operators will hire someone to do the wash... every time we dock at a marina in the Bahamas, there are guys willing to wash the boat.

And if you anchor the boat isn’t going to sink if you rinse the salt and don’t shamny it dry.

The most critical thing isn’t the size but the layout. Hatteras have lower helms with pilothouse doors on both side making it a breeze to dock as you re just a couple of steps from your spring lines...

Some have side decks some don’t. Side decks make it a little easier to get to lines and fenders.

Only down side are slightly higher costs for maintenance and dockage but in my experience not as big a jump or are least not directly related to size.

Yeah, a 70 footer may prevent you from going to a few marinas... draft is important too depending on where you are but again some larger boat have shallower drafts...

The quality of the equipment and ease of maintenance is more important than the number of things. Heads for instance... ok so you may have an extra one with an extra stateroom. If they are quality low maintenance heads... who cares... same with air con. The larger boat is likely to have chillers which are lower maintenance and have built in redundancy

Go for the boat that works for you.
    Louis1979 likes this.
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

You will find the east coast boaters are more inclined for a Captain/owner setup. It is a bit of a bias but you have to understand the factors. I think the hot weather, salt and sun wear and tear, and high sea temps lend themselves to a wide body yacht, typically without side decks, and the focus is more on an A/C existence inside with an aft deck, maybe cockpit to facilitate boarding and some outdoor experience, even if it is enclosed.

The west coast lends itself to more owner/operators situations with a cleaning/maintenance assist at the docks. The weather is not as brutally hot or subject to extremes, and the sea temps are lower. Not saying there aren’t typical Captain/owner setups out west, just fewer from my observations. Walk around side decks are a must for a two person operation in my opinion, less stress during tight quarters/dockage. This type of owner tends to make it their primary lifestyle, with everything revolving around the water, Alaska to Mexico.

You have a lot of experience, running a 70’ MY may not be all that difficult along the coast, just the typical challenges bringing it back to port / dockage and tight harbors.
    A Fleming 55 - 65 or Outer Reef or Hatteras 63 MY could work well, but you have to give some thought to purchase price/refit costs and how fast you want to travel/how much fuel you expect to purchase?

A used Dashew FPB 64 is easily handled by 2 if that fits your style and budget.
    https://setsail.com/fpb-64-theory-reality-2/
  7. olderboater

I agree with all you wrote except this sentence. Depends on the year of Hatteras as newer models do not have a lower helm, just helm on flybridge.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Correct although I think the 70 is one one of the 2000 vintage with lower helm. Maybe not.

Pacblue. I disagree with you. MY with side decks have excellent ventilation on the aft deck as air flows in nicely. Extended deck house MY are indeed awful in summer because the aft deck is unusable.

We were out today on our old 53 with side decks and wing doors and even at the peak of summer the aft deck was comfortable with just the average 10kts breeze
    Louis1979 likes this.
  9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

What’s to disagree, I love the walk around side deck / aft deck combo, not a fan of a wide body with no side deck?
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I was referring to this part

“ I think the hot weather, salt and sun wear and tear, and high sea temps lend themselves to a wide body yacht, typically without side decks, and the focus is more on an A/C existence inside ”
  11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

And you missed the “without side decks” part? That nice feature that brings that ventilation to your aft deck?
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What year 70' Hatteras are you looking at? As the earlier ones are totally different than the newer ones (2017+) in regards to deck layout and docking etc.

The late model 2017+ 70' Hatteras and even newer 75' Hatteras is not the same LOA. It is the same boat, but Hatteras added the Hydraulic swim platform which made the 70', 5' longer and it became the 75' MY.

That being said, is it do-able to run the boat yourselves. Well, that depends on you two. Knowledge, physical shape, experience, and ability. It is do-able and I know of a couple where he is around 80 years old and his wife around 65 and they run their own 75' MY themselves and usually for weeks at a time through the Bahamas.

Here's the difference though. Their is a VERY steep learning curve going from a 43' Sailboat to a 70' Hatteras. Running/operating the vessel is completely different and everything you know about docking the sailboat is opposite on a MY. There is a LOT of real estate there, when it comes to washing the boat or rinsing/chamoising it. Systems, there are around 5x more systems on the Hatteras than your sailboat had. 5x the interior to keep clean. There also is a lot more tonnage. so if you hit the dock at 4 knots, you're not going to bounce off, you're going to snap a piling.
    Attilio likes this.
  13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Not really clear on this line of thought. Full beam salon provides so much more livability to the interior, and wing doors actually provide more ventilation to the entire salon while on the quiet hook. Same doors, same breeze, more SF being ventilated. I had both under contract, one with and one without. I went with the full beam livability. A 70 foot boat feels like 85 in that configuration.
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I think the move from 40's sailboat to 70 MY is fine. The rule of thumb to remember is simply that bigger means slower when maneuvering. As a sailor you understand that speed is not an essential component of the equation while boating. However as the two of you have been sailing together with some real and meaningful experience, your ability to communicate and coordinate is already vetted.

I often "single hand" a boat that size with a family crew that doesn't know port from starboard, yet we discuss, rehearse, and perform well. They're getting better, and because of their inexperience, I am, too.

You won't have that issue. Your idea of breaking in with a captain is a very good one, as it allows you to learn the boat, learn the quirks and tricks all under the supervision of an experienced professional.

Embrace the concept. Consider the budget. If the economics work, be happy with the additional space. It's wonderful to have, be it at the dock, on the hook, or at sea.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Maybe I misread but it seemed like you were recommending an extended deck house without side deck as more comfortable for hotter climate.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Full beam salon / extended deck house don’t have side decks and wing doors. It s one or the other. Just to be clear wing doors are located on the side decks to get access to the aft deck not the interior. You can close them to prevent rain and heavy wind to get in the aft deck.

Yes an extended deckhouse/ full beam salon give you more space and works well in colder climates. Down south unless you always want to be inside in air con, the full beam drastically cuts ventilation to the aft deck making it unbearably hot

A few years ago a friend of mine had an extended deckhouse 58 Hatteras. Anchored out in summer the aft deck was unusable and when we rafted up everyone hanged out on ours with the cooler aftvdeck

Personal preference depending on where you use the boat
  17. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Burger has out-swing wing doors despite full beam (out-swing for wave impact). My recollection was that Hatt's did as well. I guess that I'm mistaken.
  18. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

IMG_7335.jpg
  19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

And when you run the boat with husband and wife in a Hatteras wide body salon WITHOUT sidecks, you have to go through the Pilothouse, the galley and the salon to get to the stern for line handling, docking, etc. They are very different than the Burger picture, as the side decks are eliminated just aft of the Pilothouse doors on the older wide body Hatt's with no side door to the aft deck.

The point is making the configuration as user friendly for a couple who want to operate for the most part without captain and crew.
  20. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

No I wasn’t but there is that crowd who likes that configuration, living mainly inside with the AC cranked to refrigeration levels. Captain and crewed, And Hatteras built plenty of MY’s for that lifestyle, not my cup of tea for an experienced owner operated who plans on running it themselves.