Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

7.4 Horizon Wire harness

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by White Noise, Jun 7, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. White Noise

White Noise New Member

I had a new engine installed and the marina has told us that the harness is bad. The harness needs replaced but they are no longer being manufactured. They have checked the data base with no luck. Would any one know who manufactured the harness for GM? Or who could manufacture one like it? Any help would be appreciated! The harness is for a 2000 396 Carver MY, and here are some specs we've been given: Mercruiser part #861162TI, GM part # GM 12181953, and I believe the engine block number is OL399255.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would have thought that aside any custom cast plugs that you could just abut re make an engine wiring harness yourself wire by wire.

A competent Auto Electrician or switchboard builder might be your best bet to ask if you are not comfortable getting into the yourself.

Maybe the marina that did the work and condemned the existing one could be a little more specific on what part of the harness is no good, this may make re work and or replacement a whole lot simpler and cheaper.
  4. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

The plugs are usually the source of the problem. Most factory engines had a short harness that terminates at the front or back of the engine then different length cables to get to the instrument panel. There's a company on ebay, Great Lakes Skipper, I think that had a bunch of surplus harnesses.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How new is new?

It's hard to justify downtime due to a harness. If it's a fancy connect they are usually sold by themselves. The inter harness can be replaced by a new plug, terminal strip of just butt spliced in.
    You got the old engines harness?