Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Mulder

59 Marquis with 8V2000 MTUs

Discussion in 'Marquis Yacht' started by john davis, Mar 25, 2018.

1. john davis

john davis New Member

I just contracted on a 2007 59 Marquis with the larger MTU 8v2000 engines instead of the 60 series MTUs.
    What will be the biggest differences in selecting one over the other?
    Ie. Performance , expense, durability , etc????
  2. Scott M

Scott M Member

I have not seen much data on the performance of the larger engines in the 59 Marquis...there are not many out there. You should see a major increase in top end speed, increase in weight...would be very interesting to know cruise speed and fuel consumption at that speed. I have the D12-800's...cruise at 20 knts @45 gph...top end is 28 knts.
    Randy ST likes this.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m not familiar with that specific boat engine comb but the usual downside to bigger engines is restricted access in the ER especially outboard. I ran a neighbors 59 a few time, basic engines, and i recall access forward and outboard was tight. Must be worst with bigger engines

On the plus side, boats with larger engines will cruise at lower loads greatly increasing longevity with similar fuel fuel as equal speed
  4. StillLearning

StillLearning Member

Before we bought our Marquis, looked at several 59's that were on the market. Only saw one with the larger engines. Pretty rare. Did not sea trial the boat, so no idea on performance.

We have the 60's, very pleased with them.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Dimensions with Gearbox

60- 80.3L x 40.7Wx45.7H 4056 lbs
    8v2000-80.9Lx 44.5Wx47.2H 5203 lbs

So 3.8" in width is the biggest dimensional change, 1 1/2" in height, 0.6" in length.
    Weight difference of 1147 lbs. or 28% or the equivalent of about 160 gallons of diesel. Nearly 400 lbs of the weight increase is from the ZF gearbox vs the MG.

Width of the engines will eat up 7.6" of the space available. Hard to know the exact impact without knowing how exactly they and the engine room are configured. We were considering getting a custom build of a 65' boat at one time that was once a production boat with the 60's and we had decided to go with 8V2000's. On that boat we were looking at going from 1650 hp to 2400 hp and thought it well worth doing. However, it was a larger boat than the Marquis being discussed.

Our speed projections were:
    With the 60's, WOT 29 knots, Cruise at 70% load 25 knots
    With the 8V2000's, WOT 33 knots, Cruise at 65% load 30 knots.

Again, only relevant to the boat we were considering but nmpg was equal to or better at all speeds on the 8V2000's than on the 60's. Also, must note, this is all calculated as no boat was built with the 8V2000's.
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  6. john davis

john davis New Member

Does anyone know the proper sized props I should be running with these 8V 2000 MTU engines