Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger

444 - Cruise Speed/rpm

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by ksbguy, May 30, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ksbguy

ksbguy Member

Hi,

Anyone have an 01-06 444 here with TAMD63P 370 volvos (2800 rpm motors)? I'm trying to compare cruise speed/rpm. I'm propped at 40rpm over WOT right now and I'm at 17 knots at 2400 rpm with tabs all the way down.

Thanks!
  2. hopper5

hopper5 Member

For what it's worth my 1994 440 with Cat 3116 (300 hp) is about the same top (!7 kts)end despite all the other claims I hear of higher speeds......I even tried larger trim tabs to get the nose down to help plane out but that's all she does !! I find it's perfect and comfortable at about 1800 rpm's and 9.5 knots.......right around hull speed. The motors are also 2800 max rpm motors.
  3. ksbguy

ksbguy Member

Thanks for the response.

My motors are 370HP rating and the top is closer to 21 knots. My cruise is 17 knots. You have a bit smaller motors so your numbers make sense... At the end of the day you need horsepower to produce speed so more tabs won't do much other than possibly help you get out of the hole a little easier and maybe stay on plane at slightly lower speed. Make sure you reach at least 2850 rpm WOT so your EGTs are not high - pitch down if you have to...