Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Comfort

42' 1995 above

Discussion in 'Grand Banks Yacht' started by Beau, Mar 1, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I Love my 50 post. People here are probably tired of my boasting. However situations always change and I need a slower boat with more handholds etc. I'm looking at some 42 GB's with twins. Our travel would be from the Hamptons up to Nantucket and the local shores in between. Getting there by Friday evening and retuning by Sunday evening is no longer a necessity

What say you all to a 42 for 2 with visits from the kids while we are alongside, say in Newport?

We are excited about our next stage beyond a fast, beautiful SF
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Lots to think about.
    How slow are you ready to go ? Below 10 knots or above ? Are you limited to a 42 or can you go to a 46 or 49 GB?
    Sid Stapleton took a 49 all the way from Alaska to Maine, nice layout with above 10 knots capability.
    The drop off in sea keeping from a 50 Post to a 42 GB will be noticeable, but an enclosed lower helm is really nice.
    More up keep/woodwork to consider, but a comfortable walk around with lots of rails and easy / secure bow access.
    Engines - may need some work here?
    The GB layout is great to spread cabins aft and forward, plenty of privacy. This will be a fun journey!
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Yeah , so I need help from all you folks! I think we need twins for aa 9-10 knot cruise, 14 if I have to hurry. Engine condition will determine price. My dad had Eggs, I had Eggs so we know about the teak. Fortunately I have access to a winter shed with heat.

I'll probably try to find a place for a Seakeeper, but in retirement I can choose when to leave that comfortable anchorage if its snotty at the sea buoy?

I like the seperation of the staterooms. We may have to upgrade refrigeration.

We like the 42 because it seems more manageable for two old fuggies? How do you spell that word? But we are just starting the process.. My son has a canyon capable boat so hopefully he will take the ole' guy who taught him how to fish out once and a while? But really I don't want a 200 lb fish on my back any more. I'll watch and sharpen hooks.... If I knew how to operate the cameras I'd do that too!
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What is your price range?
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

SO WOW ? WOW! you and I should probably talk off line, I might answer you. We are going to visit a couple of 42's very soon to feel the fit. But asking my price range off the bat doesn't impress me at all. Show me what you have. I can do my own shopping and negotiating. You've lost out of the box, my friend. You get neither the sale or the purchase.

I asked about info on a 42, not for the help of an apparent grifter - don't know if you are but sure seems so. I give you my price and mystically you have a boat that matches? Perhaps it was $50K less than before I gave you a number? Dunno, I've chatted with you some many times on this site, why....

Yes. Carl I am on a rant!
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I am not a broker, nor do I have a Grand Banks to sell you. But, I have run a lot of them. But I do have an owner whose boat I currently manage that's looking for a 50' Post with man 820's, if you do find a broker to sell you a Grand Banks. :D:D:D

That being said, I was simply asking because I feel there are a lot better options in that size range. The 42' Europa is nice, but the exterior maintenance is extremely heavy and there are other boats with what I feel are better outdoor space and indoor use of space. If it even sprinkles with the Europa or any Grand Banks, you're pretty much stuck inside. Although at least the aft deck is covered on the Europa versus the trunk cabin ones.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

"What's my price range:" has no relevance to what I asked. You want to buy my 50 that should have been your question. You admit you do not have a 42 to sell to me. The 50 will be listed with Hampton Boat Works very soon if you'd like to put in an offer.

Thank you for your thoughts on the Europa, but we like the stateroom separation, even more so, my wife likes the Aleutian 59....
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If that's the case I would go new enough on the Grand Banks to get one with Cummins. It looks like somewhere around 2003 they switched over to using Cummins, but that might date back earlier. I wouldn't want to deal with 3208 CAT's compared to newer Cummins in that boat, both with noise, fuel burn, exhaust smell and maintenance, etc. What's your price range was referring to the boat you are looking for, not the one you aren't yet selling. Because the Cummins boats on YW are a little more than the 3208 boats, but newer and not terribly much more money.

Again, I am not a broker, I would just tell my customer to call you or your broker, depending on how you wanted to sell it. If you want to save the commission and sell it yourself, or not deal with it and list it with a broker, up to you. I don't care either way. My customer owns 2, new boat dealerships (rivers/lakes) in the middle of the country. He wants a 50' ish SF for South Florida and knows little about that type of boat, and needs a 3 stateroom boat that doesn't burn the fuel of a 50' Hatteras with 12v92s for his family. I don't get in the middle of the broker/offer/negotiation/sale deal......nor do I care to.....The only thing I do in regards to that is do some pre buy-inspections for customers, perhaps help pick out surveyors, and ride along on the seatrial if asked and go over the survey findings and asses dollar amounts to the fixes. Anyways, I'll let him know.
  9. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Never run one only visited for a tour, The GB 42 EU about 2005 is a serious contender.
    Easy boarding from transom
    The EU version is covered side deck and aft cockpit.
    Serious hardware
    Great railing and even inboard SS handrail along side decks.
    Lovely salon
    I happen to like my galley down but this galley is pretty cool with very unique storage.
    Lower inner helm is sweet, love the helm door for easy access to the side deck.
    Did I mention nice teak interior joinery.
    Plenty of sleeping space and nice, as you noted, stateroom separation.
    Engine room is not my fav.
    Overall style is not my fav.
    Cruising at 9-10 knots and probably burning 8 GPH depending on the water and weather is always nice.
    Being able to get up to 15 knots at 80% throttle is a must in my book.

I say get aboard and maybe charter one to be sure. Then hire a regular boat washer!

I have no idea how much then cost, but in my next life I will sell you one.

Looking for alternatives?
  10. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Fogeys.

Questions about budget are common, in case suggestions for alternatives might be welcome. If you don't want alternative suggestions, you could make that clear up front.

Why not add more handholds to your current boat, and drive it slower?

-Chris
  11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The flow of a sedan/convertible is just different, even with a full set of rails like we do on the West Coast. You are isolated on the bridge, removed from the cockpit and the “action”.

On the GB and other Pilothouse boats, you have a cozy helm as a central place, all around the action. Easy side step to the walk around side decks, which are secure and have a better feel with rails and coamings rather than rails placed on the deck. Better security for the wife and young ones.

The separation of cabins is much nicer for cruising with family and guest. Plus you essentially get a full beam master.

Our family friend had a 42 GB that he used from Cabo to the San Juan Islands. Quite capable with an eye to weather , great to have the option of an upper and lower helm .

A retiring couple can easily handle the 42/46, the 49 is noticeably bigger but still manageable for an experienced cruising couple.

The engine rooms on these GB’s are large and easy to get around in, a plus for us “fogeys”.
  12. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Here’s a nice example:

https://www.**************/boats/1993/grand-banks-46-classic-3187817/?refSource=standard listing

Nice to have the cockpit for more access to the water, plus it has the magic 13 knots cruise. Magic because 13 knots x 24 hours = 312 miles, my personal benchmark for cruise speed/miles covered in a 24 hour period.

And here is an example of a West Coast SF with our typical rail obsession:

https://www.**************/boats/1999/radovich-45-sportsfisher-3225292/?refSource=standard listing

We put rails everywhere, not fun anchoring in rough weather in a SF without them, and we have no Offshore marinas to speak of in SoCal.
  13. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I want your boat! (timing might not be right for me)

Gelcoat and all!

I really think the 50 Post is an incredible value.
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

RT

I'll keep you posted, right now we are in the "thinking" we want to do this. My wife has a long term developing illness and we probably need something easier for her to move around on. The ladder to the bridge is tough, and the gunwales though wide holds her back. As suggested above I make make modification to Bodacious - I've seen electric lifts to the bridge installed.
  15. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Ah. Ladder. Yep.

-Chris
  16. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Ive seen a folding davit on the back of the bridge platform
  17. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Beau, you have been forum contributor for a while. I find it rare for you to take a shot at somebody but calling Capt J an apparent Grifter is seems out of character for you. A grifter is a conman/person who attempts to swindle someone out of money via fraud. I realize Capt J has strong opinions but he has been helpful to me since I have joined this forum and can’t understand for the life of me why you would insult him for simply asking price range. I understand one’s reluctance to discuss personal finances on the internet but the question is germane to a boat purchase discussion and is a question many have answered with no offense taken. Maybe someday I will start my own thread exploring the indecency that is so prevalent on the internet. I quess anonominity brings out the ugliness in some of us. My Internet personality is very similar to my “real” personality so it baffles me why some are so quick to get ugly on the internet. Perhaps it is my hang up as others don’t seem as bothered by it.
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I apologize profusely if that is the sense of the forum that I went too far. Just answer the questions I ask? I do a lot of transactional work and know the play of the "squeakers". Capt J surely is not one. I respect his wisdom .
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

OK. Like I told you in the beginning. I am not a broker. I do not have a boat to sell you of any sort, I do have a customer looking for a boat like you're selling, but I gain nothing financially from his purchase of any boat, other than possibly maintaining it after he purchases it, and quite frankly I've got too much business as it is.

I asked what's your price range is, only because it pertains to the 42' Europa, only to recommend to you of going much newer than 1995 (IF it's in your budget )...….Say >2003 to get a 42' Europa with Cummins in it, instead of the old CAT 3208's. The cummins are far better engines for that boat, all of the way around. Plus the EU model Europa, has covered walkways all of the way to the pilothouse if that is your thing,the EU's are also late model ones. It appears you have the 1995-2003's going for $350-400k. And 2003 and newer from $425-500k...…on Yachtworld…....So about 20% more money but for 10-14 years or newer and better engines and features.....not to mention the other equipment (electronics, heads, a/cs etc. etc.).

I really was going to try to talk you into buying this baby that I saw in Key Largo today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT, you caught on!!!!! It's all rigged out for cruising!!!!!!!!!
    IMG_0699.jpg
  20. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I like it! Please assume I have to borrow every last dollar to purchase.. Can you tell me anything about that boat, or is it more useless info and photo you have?

J, I'm not looking to get into a squabble. Do you know anything about the 42 GB... If not lay to the side. I'll decide if I have the money, thanks for all your good insights on other matters. If you think I'm going to broadcast to the world what my budget is ... well I have to question how many good transactions would result. Price is the last thing discussed in my business, my friend. If a broker ever asked one of my reps" what's your budget", he might do a "figurative" face plant on 5th ave. Just defending myself here.

I'm only looking for info on hardware, not financing