Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

380 Santego Engine hatch upgrade

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Mccoy38, Nov 10, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mccoy38

Mccoy38 New Member

Hi , I am curious if anyone has modified the engine hatches on the 380 Santego to have gas struts or hinges?

Carver basically failed here and these things are a pain in the butt to remove and dangerous to handle as they are just laid on the gutters loose.

I want to add some kind of system but want to make it as easy as possible before I start drilling. These things are heavy so I am not sure gas loaded struts will even work. Also have to find a way to add some kind of hinge system. The hatches run flush so there is no where to put hinges. Curious if others have tried if anything.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Gas struts will work as long as they're rated for the weight, but you'll probably have to do some cutting and glass work to make it fit and work. The hinges could also be a toe magnet. Be sure to back all screws as they tend to tear out of fiberglass. I'd also install a safety brace in case a strut gave out at the wrong time.

If you have the room you might also consider a set of pivots that would help lift and rotate the hatch back far enough to give you access. Have them connected with pins so the hatch can be removed completely when needed. If this would work it would elimate the need for a hinge, safety brace and fiberglass work.