Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for JetForums

370 Aft Cabin

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by koetsie, Jan 20, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. koetsie

koetsie New Member

Please forgive me if this has been covered before, a search produced nothing. The Admiral and I are considering the purchase of a 1996 370 Aft Cabin with twin 454 Crusaders (505 hours). I currently own a Sea Ray 340 Sundancer and am looking to move up in size and to a newer boat. I hjave so manyquestions that I do not really know where to start.

The boat that we have looked at is in fantastic condition and offers so much more as a family than the current boat. We are looking at something that fits the family a bit better and the one we have found seems to fit the bill.

I am curious as to the top speed of the boat, the fuel consumption, the reliability of the motors, the quality of the boat, etc., etc. I am acutely aware of the need for a current survey, but need to know if there are any issues we need to be aware of. It seems as though there are more creature comforts than we can count, I just want to make sure we are doing the right thing.

Is there anyone out there that can help me figure out if we are looking at a quality boat w3ith a lot of upside and what the downsides may be?

I really appreciate any and all help that I can get while we decide if this is the boat for us.

Thank you in advance for any and all help that I can find!

Bryan
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Guessing here as I haven't run a Carver 370, but with a pair of 454s, my guess top speed is high 20s possibly into the 30s depending on weight carried, props pitch and horsepower avail. A good cruise on that size boat (if it's tall high volume boat I'm thinking) is going to be around 24.

As to is it a good boat for your family, that depends on your family and their usage of the boat. If you're all comfortable on it and intend to use it for a short run then sit in a nice location and basically camp on it for the weekend maybe a few days, or stay on it somewhere with personal support facilities, a couple dozen times a year, I don't see a particular problem with them. As with any gasoline engined boat you have to be extremely vigilant with the condition and service of your fuel system, but you already know all that. There is a point in operational quantity where it becomes more economically advantageous to run a diesel(s), but most family boats operating at normal usage levels in that size range don't meet it $50,000 buys a lot of gasoline still, plus a 454 can run on straight methanol...

If your family is young and small and still growing, you may want to take the current market situation into account and buy the boat you think you'll be moving up to in 2 boats from now now. There's multiple factors to consider, but there are deals right now that are pretty near if not setting historic records of value. Just something to consider.

Take a look on yacht world and see what comes up in your price range.
  3. Carver370

Carver370 New Member

I own a 1994 370 with 454's. Are you looking at the 370 that was based in Saugatuck? If so I have been on that boat before these current owners bought it.

I can't reply with a very complete response right now but I will tomorrow to answer your questions on cruise speed, fuel consumption and top speed. I have owned mine since 1994 when the boat was new so I have a lot of helm time on one as well as others, have actually run the 96 370 thats in Saugatuck....

Quick numbers on MY 370 for now, 22-24 mph cruise at 3300 RPM, I have seen 33/34 MPH top end on mine loaded up with gear, fuel, and water consistently. This is a BIG 37' boat, as you can see I haven't felt the need to move up in a long time being the original owner.

I casually have mine for sale right now, probably will get more serious in a year or so to upgrade to something in the 48-55' range.
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

<croc Dundee accent on> now THAT'S a yacht <croc Dundee accent off>
    :)

that carver is a big boat with high windage for gassers bit as Henning said for most owners that s ok. If you intend on running 100 hrs a year though then diesels make sense
  6. koetsie

koetsie New Member

Thank you very much for your response...I have sent you a pm if you could take a look. One other thing I have not been able to get clear answers on is if the boat is underpowered or not with the Crusaders. Just tring to figure that part out as well.
  7. Carver370

Carver370 New Member

I personally have never felt the boat is underpowered with them, all 680 hours on my boat have been personally run by me, people who usually say that boats are underpowered have no actual experience. The weight and size so called "limit" people use for gas engines in a boat is all subjective. There are certain boats that are very underpowered with gas engines however this is not one.

One thing you will find and at least from my experience is that the 350 HP Crusaders have a lot more torque and seem to just run better over all than the Mercruiser 7.4 version. I have just never been really impressed with the Mercruisers at least in any Carver I have run. (MY OWN OPINION as to not offend anybody.)

I've been meaning to touch on this in a few threads but I pose this question. If a manufacturer has sold so many of one model and the majority engine is "A" which the supposed inadequate engine, then why do so many owners keep these boats or even buy them in the first place? They must have been sufficient enough for them out of the showroom right?

8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i agree, the "gas ceiling" is subjective and depends on many factors. For most owners in the grey area, diesels just dont' add up.

there are many underpowered boats around, usually when new and lightly loaded they're fine. with time, motors get a little worn, boats get a little heavier and it becomes marginal.

$$ is the big reason why people go with base engines and in most case it's ok.
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

"Adequate power" is subjective to the requirements and desires of the owner. Most underpowered boats stay that way because they only get used three times a year and the owner has no set of performance requirements. They are built that way (with minimal HP) because HP costs money, not only in the engine, but the drive and structure as well.