Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Delta

3607 Steering

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by 1000 islands, May 4, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

The marina just launched my boat and they sent me an e-mail to say I have no steering.

They said it might be that I need the air pumped up.

What does that mean and where/what do I look for the air tank?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You'll see a smallish metal canister with a sight tube on its side and a pressure guage on top, most likely in your engine room. The sight tube will show if you have fluid in it (which most likely you do), and the guage should probably be pumped up to 30psi. You can use a bicycle pump for the. I'm rather surprised that your marina didn't just do it when they launched.

Check this as part of your normal daily ER check, especially if it's been found low. That shouldn't have happened although I suspect winter had something to do with it. Keep an eye on it though to make sure you don't have a leak.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The marina should have checked it and just done it... Takes a minute. I usually put abut 20 psi. A bike hand pump should be standard on any boat with air tanked Hynautics
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Are the psi variable, depending on the unit? Reason I ask is that our yard manager crashed our boat the other day when he lost steering and gears due to lack of pressure in the systems. He told us 30psi for the steering and 75psi for the gears (this is the first Hynautic gear setup I've run). You say 20 psi on the steering, and we've got similar boats running. Thanks for your insights.
  5. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

My marina can not do any mechanical work on boats because of their purchase agreement....

But thanks for the info, I'll go tomorrow and look for it.
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  6. Sea Ya

Sea Ya New Member

I have the same boat and your tank should located on starboard side under the bed in the master suite. 30 psi is the recommended operating pressure. Check the fluid level and look under the helm to see if you have a leak. My boat was laid up foe 3 years, the seal dried out and i lost steering on the way from Annapolis to Jersey. Replacing the seals can be dyi but is very time consuming.Hopefully it just needs air but do check for a leak, mine has not lost any pressure since I re built it 3 years ago.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

All the air pressure does in an Hynautics steering is push fluid up in the system so that thei circuits and helms remain full and primed. It will work with a lot less than 20 psi but I guess it depends on the layout, height etc. I just don't see the point of putting too much pressure in the system.

Usually When pressure gets a little low you will notice it in the flybirdge helm first. It may spin before re priming itself. Usually if you loose pressure under way because of a sever leak, you will first loose it at the FB and then at the lower helm. A few years ago, I had a cooler failure on a power assisted Hynautics.. Coming back from the Bahamas, one of those oh crap moment when I disconnected the pilot to make the turn into cape Florida channel at 20kts... Dead steering with a spinning, no resistance helm. I quickly re engaged the pilot which kept on working fine for a few more minutes as the pump is located low in the ER and still had fkuid Just long enough to slow down, make the the turn and re center the rudders so I could finish the trip steering with the gears :)

Never messed with Hynautics engine controls so can't really comment on their pressure needs

Got to ask how he crashed a boat which I guess was just launched after winter ? I helps to check the controls After launch... :).
  8. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Thanks all, I will go down to the boat today and check the canister...that is after I buy a bicycle pump.:D
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yep, he was very embarrassed. No question of who was responsible. He jumped right on the repair. One of those mistakes we all make but hopefully don't make twice.
  10. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

It looks like there might be a small leak under the steering wheel, there is a small bit of oil, but it looks to be quite old.

BTW I pumped it up to 30psi and still no steering. I couldn't see if there was fluid or not and the label which tells where the level should be is covered by the fresh water tank.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The fluid is the life blood of the system, determining if you have eniugh or have any should be pretty high on your fault finding list. 3 or 300 PSI - No fluid = No Steering
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Can you see the sight tube? If you need to, pick up a mirror on a telescoping wand at an auto parts store. This is rather critical.
  13. Billygirl

Billygirl New Member

The problem is probably the fluid as mentioned. If the bit of oil is old probably the problem isn't the yacht steering wheel in my opinion.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Would you care to share with us the relationship you have with the steering wheel website you are promoting on your very first post?
  15. Billygirl

Billygirl New Member

Hi,
    I have simply indicated a website I think could be useful but if you don't appreciate it I regret for this and you can delete the link.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Billygirl, you may not be familiar with how this forum works, but it is not a place to post free advertising. Could you have been more blatant?:(
  17. Sea Ya

Sea Ya New Member

100 Islands. Having gone thru this try removing the footrest panel at your helm, you will more than likely find a pool of oil behind it and will be able to access the the helm steering mechanism there. Refill your tank to the proper level, pump up to the proper psi, 30 in my opinion and then go back to the helm and turn the wheel. If you have bad seals you will definitely find out then. The rebuild kit is available for about $30 I believe, most people will tell you to send it out but that is about $300. Worst part of the job is is the recharge procedure, you have to turn the wheel numerous times. Look up the instructions on the Hynautics site. Good Luck.
  18. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

My marine mechanic was finishing the through hull install for my depth finder and the battery charger, so he decided to look at the steering as it still didn't work after I pumped it up to 30 psi, but it is fixed now. I don't know what he had to do but I'll find out soon.
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That is one pathetic self promotional post... Personally when I see such spam in a forum, I make sure I remember the site so that I never order from them...

After pumping the system you need to prime the helms by turning in one direction till it stops then the other way till to the other stop

Note that if you loose steering underway you can s times reprime that way at least for a while
  20. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Some models have a relief valve that you have to open to bleed the system. As stated you can run the air pressure from 20-30 psi. I always felt the lower pressure may be easier on the seals but I have never tested that theory.