Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

3607 Aft Cabin waste water discharge

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by 1000 islands, Apr 21, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Hi all, I've just found this forum and from what I see it is quite populated with lots of various boaters.

I purchased a 1989 3607 Aft Cabin last fall and the surveyor said that the waste water discharge valve is open. When I tried to close it I couldn't move it, but I noticed there are 2 wires that go to where the valve lever is located.

I there some type of electrical locking mechanism to keep the valve open or closed?

Thanks
  2. SeaDragon

SeaDragon New Member

Those should be ground wires connecting the thru hull to your ships bonding system/ground. You should probably check if is discharge or intake before closing it.
  3. Sea Ya

Sea Ya New Member

I have the same boat, purchased 4 years ago. I had 2 waste water valves, one for each holding tank both of which were frozen open. I removed them both and capped the inlets with bronze caps for possible future use. I rely solely on the holding tanks. This makes me legal no matter where I boat. The wires ware part of the bonding system. The problem shows you that you should definitely exercise all valves frequently.
  4. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

I found one discharge on the starboard side, but I can't seem to see the other one....where is it on your boat?
  5. Sea Ya

Sea Ya New Member

They are right behind the motors close to the transmissions. They are aftermarket installs so the probably will not match yours. My boat was wired for electric heads but I don't believe they were ever installed do to the fact that there are no breakers in the panel. We have manual heads which each had a wye valve allowing overboard or tank disposal. I removed both wye valves when I removed the overboards.
  6. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Problem solved....the discharge on the starboard side is for both fore and aft waste tanks, with a diversion valve at the junction. It has been set to close for both tanks so nothing can be pumped directly into the sea/river/lake etc.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Keep in mind that to be legal and pass a boarding, the valves need to be secured. Typically it means either using a zip tie to lock it close or removing the handle.

Otherwise, you risk a violation or finel
  8. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

The valve is locked with a zip tie, but thanks for the heads up Pascal