Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Comfort

36 convertible two compasses

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by Josh Keeran, Mar 13, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Josh Keeran

Josh Keeran Member

Does anyone know why Luhrs put two compasses on the dash of the 36 convertible? I was thinking of eliminating the blue flush mount compass between the tachs and mounting my autopilot head there. Just want some insight before I make an unforeseen mistake. To be honest that compass has never been correct anyways

Attached Files:

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Because they realized after building the flybridge mold that a compass 45 degrees off to the side of the helm person is useless for navigating unless you're standing directly in front of it, and then added the center one.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Are you sure that both are OEM, and the one between the tachs was not retrofitted afterwards?
    Anyway, I'd get rid of both and fit a KVH Azimuth 1000 where the compass on the left is.
    On top of higher accuracy and self-compensation, the KVH also allows an offset installation.
    So, you could fit it rotated towards the helmsman for better reading.
    Which BTW might be the reason why someone added the blue compass, aligned with the wheel.
    Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to use that spot for the A/P head.
    If it's what look like an ST6001, just behind the wheel, I'd rather leave it there.
    Not very elegant maybe, but easier to reach.
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

LOL, I posted my previous comment before reading yours, but it seems that we were thinking along the same lines.
    To my knowledge, the KVH is the only compass that works equally well with such offset placement.
  5. Josh Keeran

Josh Keeran Member

Thanks guys. That is exactly what I thought initially too, poor design so the added another compass

the autopilot head is actually just resting in that spot in front of the wheel. It was mounted far to the left which is absolutely terrible. The location between the tachs is really easy to reach inside the wheel while sitting and even better over the wheel while standing. If I remove the compass the hole is the same size so it will be an easy retrofit
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Is that center vertical compass face hooked to a piece of electronics as a primary. Is the compass to the left called an "azimuth" compass??
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Judging only from the pic I thought the opposite, but if so, fair enough.

Just consider that the other non-aligned compass, even if accurate, is almost useless because of its placement.
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I don't think that central compass can be interfaced with any A/P.
    The ST6001 head is normally connected to its own Raymarine electronic compass, that should be placed as close as possible to the boat CoG - hence probably hidden under some floor hatch.

Ref. the other compass, my previous suggestion to replace it was referred to this specific KVH Azimuth 1000 model.
    The existing Ritchie thing looks like a plain vanilla magnetic compass, strictly meant for a longitudinally aligned installation.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  9. Josh Keeran

Josh Keeran Member

i know! This is a real tough one! I understand the compass to the port not being the best placement.

I think I am going to research the blue compass and see what it may or may not be connected to. With it being 30-60 degrees off at any given time it is also absolutely useless. The short time I have owned the boat I have never been able to use it fir navigation besides holding a consistent (but wrong) heading
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

My bet is that it isn't connected to anything at all!
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

[QUOTE="
    Ref. the other compass, my previous suggestion to replace it was referred to this specific KVH Azimuth 1000 model.
    The existing Ritchie thing looks like a plain vanilla magnetic compass, strictly meant for a longitudinally aligned installation.[/QUOTE]

Is that a azimuth compass - magnetic rather than electronic?
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Would that port compass be in a good placement for the second person on the bridge? The co-pilot or Navigator?
    In such a small dash, between the tachs, if your confidant you and your navigator can quickly reach it if needed, then that may be a good location and you could use the AP compass if needed.
    I assume ahead of the helm is a seat back. Placing a gimbaled compass on top would be a head banger for somebody sitting forward?

Now, a big assed compass mounted way forward would be the trick. Like this one;
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ritc...-and-built-in-clinometer--210146?recordNum=12
    or bigger.

Mounted in an overhead box could be cool also.
    The horizon and compass in the same line of sight.
    I think the KVH display is flip-able for this.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

O T O H
    Does anybody really use their compass in precision any more?
    On a boat your size; set & drift is near automatic in the back of your head, just lean that way a bit.
    Your Navigator going to call out vectors or just turn on the AP?

You will also have HDG & CMG on the big plotter screen.
    Your original little Richie is to help determine where land should be.
    Relax
    KISS
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I never came across an installation of that thing upside down in an overhead box, but I can see why you think it could work.
    So, out of curiosity, I just checked the owner's manual, and that possibility isn't mentioned anywhere. Only the offset installation is.

Anyway, I agree that we are now making a big deal of something which is practically irrelevant, in boats equipped with AP....
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Good morning.
    Nothing in the manual, uh?
    So many slow brain cells have been sacrificed thru the years.
    Maybe I'm remembering something wrong, possibly wrong mfg or model.
    I'll have to do some digging.
    BTW, It was not one of those mirror jobs I've seen also.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Quick Google shows a gazillion mag displays thingies for cars.
    Just a few marine. I like the repeaters from marine-data.co.uk .
    Raymarine and other common mfg's make a mag displays and repeaters that could be hung over head also.
    Still can't find that one I have noted before. Just got to remember who's boat it was on.

Agreed
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Co-pilot on a 36' luhrs, not usually for most people. I don't use a compass for precision. Where it really saves your behind is if your autopilot goes out and you need to hand steer and there isn't a cloud in the sky to line up the bow with OR a star at night. Especially at hull speed, at night, the delay in the GPS will drive you bonkers trying to hand steer.
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Its got to connected to something, though inaccurate, it's moving. And that's not a floating card. Could very well be connected to the AP which has gone out of calibration? OP has to get inside that cabinet and trace any cable leading from the back of that instrument. Maybe it leads to just a compass head, but its seems to be getting a signal from something.

It would make sense to me that its a remote from the AP and avoids having to relocate the AP and the thru the steering wheel adjusting.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  19. Beau

Beau Senior Member

MY own reply They are all azimuth, refers to mathematics not the magnetic's, duh
  20. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

I can vouch for that. Coming into Galveston last June in the middle of a tropical depression, AP quit, waves too high to see anything, chartplotter update way too slow to show heading and NO compass (don't ask).